zenman

Needles for skins

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I generally prefer SS needles for this application. Use a dremel and carefully cut a groove just aft of the eye. I prefer rigging floss, you can find it at shops that cater to the offshore guys. Dacron works too but it's a bit thicker in profile. If you do choose to use braid make sure you use heavy stuff. I'd suggest upwards of 80 lb braid, the lighter line will cut and damage most skins pretty badly.

Super Strike stubby needle. But I mostly throw a 2 3/8oz SS popper or an original Atom 40 for skins. I use floss to tie the skins. My father used to use stainless steel wire. He would wrap in around and twist the ends with a pair of pliers which seat the wire and skin into the groove really nicely. Sadly, I just can’t do it very well and he’s not around to do it anymore. 

For plastics, you don't even need a Dremel.  Just heat up a nail or a screwdriver tip, etc. with a torch or over the gas flame on your stove (it doesn't have to be super hot), and use that to melt a groove in your plastic.  Although hardly required, if you angle the heated metal piece correctly you can create a little lip of melted plastic just aft of your groove.

This was shared with me several years ago by a sharpie guide, so it's hardly my idea.  (BTW, his fave plug for eel-skinning is an Atom A54.)

Just wanted to thank everyone for their recommendations. I used a hot nail to melt a groove on a ss needle and used rigging floss to lash on a skin. Had a pretty good session last night on an incoming tide, I used my eelskin and a buddy used a “naked” needle. I had 4-6 for every one he caught. 
Thanks again!!!