MoreLunkers

DIY Tube and Worm

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I used to use AFW toothproof ss wire and crimps. I haven’t made or fished one in 8 years, but they were deadly! Slip the tube over, add a splitting and hook. 

E5283364-9B21-4EB5-9DAA-15E13C54B49F.jpeg

C1F5D986-45E1-482C-8B63-9465A2C476A4.jpeg

Edited by cheech
Pic

I’ll try to explain how I used to rig tubes, haven’t done it in a while. We took 10’ of old trolling wire, usually 50# stainless. You then coil it into 3 coils so you wind up with a 3 strand coil. Now stretch the coil so it’s elongated and now it’s a straight 6 strand wire. Try to wind it with the two single ends winding up on the end. 
Now you should have approximately a 3 foot 6 strand piece of loosely formed wire. One end will form a loop, mount that loop on screwdriver in a vise. The other end should have the two loose wires. Affix that end in the chuck of a variable speed drill and slowly twist tightly to form a six strand wire. Be careful and wear eye protection. Use that to rig your tube. 
It is a big PIA but you wind up with a tube that you can bend to most any shape and won’t kink. PM me if you have any questions. 

43 mins ago, patabate said:

I’ll try to explain how I used to rig tubes, haven’t done it in a while. We took 10’ of old trolling wire, usually 50# stainless. You then coil it into 3 coils so you wind up with a 3 strand coil. Now stretch the coil so it’s elongated and now it’s a straight 6 strand wire. Try to wind it with the two single ends winding up on the end. 
Now you should have approximately a 3 foot 6 strand piece of loosely formed wire. One end will form a loop, mount that loop on screwdriver in a vise. The other end should have the two loose wires. Affix that end in the chuck of a variable speed drill and slowly twist tightly to form a six strand wire. Be careful and wear eye protection. Use that to rig your tube. 
It is a big PIA but you wind up with a tube that you can bend to most any shape and won’t kink. PM me if you have any questions. 

So, there ya go .

Nice

:th:

1 hour ago, AKotoun said:

Anyone know if the name, type or McMaster part number if the type of tube to use? 

First time making tubes but the brand of tubing I’m waiting on in the mail is bevlex 

I used 1/4 or 5/16” ID tubing I purchased online. Replacement resistance tubes from Dicks are the same latex material.

7 hours ago, cheech said:

I used 1/4 or 5/16” ID tubing I purchased online. Replacement resistance tubes from Dicks are the same latex material.

Interesting.  All the tubes I've ever seen were vinyl, not latex.

We made them like Pat except only a doubled strand of wire and crimped the head of tube partly overvthe swivel with a hog ring.  Choat ring actually I think, slightly smaller than hog ring.