MoreLunkers

DIY Tube and Worm

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

So i have decided to make some DIY tubes. I have found everything I need EXCEPT FOR THE WIRE!  I am having trouble finding durable wire over the length of 15". I have done my research on the inter-webs with no luck but Ryan from Fishing CC had a pretty good video on youtube. Any suggestions fellas?

I bought a tube from Otter with light springy wire that couldn't be formed into a nice helix, so I replaced it with some 1/16 stainless wire I had. That wire was spring tempered, so I annealed it and it was fine. These 0.050 McMaster wires should work for you, 35' for $7, $16 for more corrosion resistant stainless.

92705K16
8860K16

16 mins ago, gellfex said:

I bought a tube from Otter with light springy wire that couldn't be formed into a nice helix, so I replaced it with some 1/16 stainless wire I had. That wire was spring tempered, so I annealed it and it was fine. These 0.050 McMaster wires should work for you, 35' for $7, $16 for more corrosion resistant stainless.

92705K16
8860K16

Helix? Damn, how long of a tube are you running? 

1 min ago, drmevo said:

Helix? Damn, how long of a tube are you running? 

Do you not bend yours in a long helix so it undulates? Every instructional I've ever seen says to. The Otter one simply sprung into a circle no matter what you did.

42 mins ago, gellfex said:

92705K16
8860K16

Awesome thanks for the good word- it is tough trying to converge something not made for fishing into something made for fishing..... i pulled the trigger on Stainless Steel Wire (316L) 1.2 MM - 25 Ft, Coil ( Wire Wrapping Craft Wire ) due to cabin fever so I hope it works. Do you just tie your wire end or do you use a crimp sleeve of some sort? 

1 min ago, MoreLunkers said:

Awesome thanks for the good word- it is tough trying to converge something not made for fishing into something made for fishing..... i pulled the trigger on Stainless Steel Wire (316L) 1.2 MM - 25 Ft, Coil ( Wire Wrapping Craft Wire ) due to cabin fever so I hope it works. Do you just tie your wire end or do you use a crimp sleeve of some sort? 

I think I bent and twisted it.

55 mins ago, gellfex said:

Do you not bend yours in a long helix so it undulates? Every instructional I've ever seen says to. The Otter one simply sprung into a circle no matter what you did.

No, my 15" tubes are basically shaped like this ( and longer might have an additional bend but definitely not a helix. Not saying it wouldn't work, I just haven't seen it before is all. 

3 mins ago, drmevo said:

No, my 15" tubes are basically shaped like this ( and longer might have an additional bend but definitely not a helix. Not saying it wouldn't work, I just haven't seen it before is all. 

Umm, like what? The circle I mentioned?  I'm talking about like these shapes below. That Otter tube would simply spring into a circle, the wire was not strong enough to overcome the natural shape of the tube.

Tube-and-Worm-DIY.jpg

5 mins ago, gellfex said:

Umm, like what? The circle I mentioned?  I'm talking about like these shapes below. That Otter tube would simply spring into a circle, the wire was not strong enough to overcome the natural shape of the tube.

Tube-and-Worm-DIY.jpg

Shaped like a single parenthesis is what I meant. I see what you mean now, I was picturing a longer length of helical tubing, like a several or more coils of a stretched spring. 

4 mins ago, MoreLunkers said:

those are some curvy looking tubes. reminds me of a girl I used to know..... :rav:

You may have been in quarantine too long!

2 hours ago, MoreLunkers said:

Haywire twist.