Jdiesel

Penn Torque II

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

11 mins ago, Jdiesel said:

Looks like Penn is throwing its hat into the ring with VS and Zeebaas.

https://www.pennfishing.com/penn-reels-spinning-reels-penn-torque/penn-torque-ii-spinning/1371183.html#start=16

All i see is an add for the reel?????

Something new? Or did you just discover this. 

I have a 1st gen torque (which i love) and i think they have been around for about 10 or 15 years

I got a torque instead of a zb or vs because of Alan Tani reviews about ease of service

Penn has been at this for a while. I have owned several torque 1 sealed reels and they are very nice and backed by a great company. When they had a design change to the main shaft, they upgraded everyone for free. 

I have not had had a single issue with a Torque. Flawless operation. Great customer service and a great reel. 

Those have been out for a little while but maybe they changed something up. I’ve got a first gen which I love as well, It’s a great reel in my opinion. I’ve heard the second gens aren’t as good but I can’t elaborate as to why. I think it was inferior materials with the gearing or something. They’re also not as sealed as the first gens. If I’m wrong someone feel free to correct me.

Edited by Dinger117

17 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

All i see is an add for the reel?????

Something new? Or did you just discover this. 

I have a 1st gen torque (which i love) and i think they have been around for about 10 or 15 years

I got a torque instead of a zb or vs because of Alan Tani reviews about ease of service

Looks to be new 

Available on 05/01/2020

11 mins ago, Dinger117 said:

Those have been out for a little while but maybe they changed something up. I’ve got a first gen which I love as well, It’s a great reel in my opinion. I’ve heard the second gens aren’t as good but I can’t elaborate as to why. I think it was inferior materials with the gearing or something. They’re also not as sealed as the first gens. If I’m wrong someone feel free to correct me.

Penn added an IPX rating to it's sealed reels. I don't think they're any less sealed than before.  And honestly, if they applied the same standards to a VS or ZB, I wouldn't be surprised to find that they have the same IPX ratings.

While I think IPX ratings are good for the consumer, it probably hurt Penn from a marketing standpoint, when other companies just say "sealed"or "waterproof".

9 mins ago, Jdiesel said:

Looks to be new 

Available on 05/01/2020

That could be just because they were out of stock with their factory shut down and all.

7 mins ago, C.Robin said:

Penn added an IPX rating to it's sealed reels. I don't think they're any less sealed than before.  And honestly, if they applied the same standards to a VS or ZB, I wouldn't be surprised to find that they have the same IPX ratings.

While I think IPX ratings are good for the consumer, it probably hurt Penn from a marketing standpoint, when other companies just say "sealed"or "waterproof".

100% correct. They are not less sealed or a inferior design. They just changed the marketing.

Any reel used inder water needs service, and their marketing “launch” video for Gen 1 was extreme. 

I've owned both generations. Like the first gen. alot. Second gen. Picked on one up cheap and and was not impressed. It seemed sloppy compared to my first gen. Sold it to a member here.

It's my understanding that one of the reasons Penn came up with the ipx ratings. Is a lot of people dont realize that sealed reels need to be maintained to stay sealed. Like Ged stated they went a little extreme with there marketing on the first gen. 

From what I found opening both gens. up, there both sealed if anything penn tried to improve the seals on the second gen.

Not sure where everyone gets the "second gens. aren't sealed" . Penn just changed there marketing to cover their a** basically 

8 hours ago, Dinger117 said:

The 2nd gen has a slower retrieve rate than the 1st.  Not sure if that makes it inferior from another though.

I did see a few 2nd gens for sale with damaged main gear & pinions but I think that could happen to any reel if you're winching on it.

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

2 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

The 2nd gen has a slower retrieve rate than the 1st.  Not sure if that makes it inferior from another though.

I did see a few 2nd gens for sale with damaged main gear & pinions but I think that could happen to any reel if you're winching on it.

I’ve seen that as well but definitely agree it could happen to any reel.