bassturds

Eel traps

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

Whatever you do, drop your traps where no one else will find them. Otherwise they WILL get pulled and destroyed :dismay:

1 hour ago, unskunk said:

they see them, they steal them...........

Ah, the joy of living in the Bay State, so full of respectful folks.  Traps lie unmolested in your former Colony...

I run one trap looking for larger eels in the marsh behind my house. Score what I am looking for on a very irregular basis since a dozen per summer are plenty for me to rig or skin. Half the reason I keep running them is my kids and neighbor kids love to pull, bait and see what’s in the trap. I just kind of stand around and the little ones do the work.
Here’s my son on his way out to check my trap. 

F6E70BB5-E21F-4A29-A682-10F9A0B1E85C.jpeg

On 4/26/2020 at 10:35 AM, zenman said:

I run one trap looking for larger eels in the marsh behind my house. Score what I am looking for on a very irregular basis since a dozen per summer are plenty for me to rig or skin. Half the reason I keep running them is my kids and neighbor kids love to pull, bait and see what’s in the trap. I just kind of stand around and the little ones do the work.
Here’s my son on his way out to check my trap. 

F6E70BB5-E21F-4A29-A682-10F9A0B1E85C.jpeg

I always get excited checking traps! Never know what you’ll catch, I’ve caught sticklebacks in my minnow traps 

On 4/23/2020 at 7:46 AM, bassturds said:

Any advice for catching eels in traps. I want to start catching bait for the coming season. 

I catch all my own eels and do very well..I put herring in the trap hanging from pantyhose...The reason why I do this is that they always regurgitated the fish back up in my tank, clogging the filter. I usually drop mine in before heading out at night,afetr fishing for a few hours I pull them back out. Usually get 6-9 eels on 3 traps

On 4/24/2020 at 5:42 AM, Roccus7 said:

Ah, the joy of living in the Bay State, so full of respectful folks.  Traps lie unmolested in your former Colony...

yup,had 3 stolen last year and caught someone pulling one up another night

53 mins ago, The Rev said:

I catch all my own eels and do very well..I put herring in the trap hanging from pantyhose...The reason why I do this is that they always regurgitated the fish back up in my tank, clogging the filter. I usually drop mine in before heading out at night,afetr fishing for a few hours I pull them back out. Usually get 6-9 eels on 3 traps

What kind of herring?

3 hours ago, The Rev said:

yup,had 3 stolen last year and caught someone pulling one up another night

I never understood why people will steal bait traps. You can buy a basic wire minnow trap for $8. 

I've had mine stolen in the past. The first time I pulled my trap later than 8am it was gone. 

Probably the same type of person who steals a kids bike out of the yard. 

3 hours ago, troutworm said:

I used to fish chub traps,I'll tell you if you wanted big fluke,that was the 

way to go ! Also the chubs made great small & largemouth bait.

Chubs are great for trout to 

14 hours ago, bob_G said:

What kind of herring?

I usually load up on river herring under the cover of darkness in the spring and use them all year...lol...I get the herring from bait shops....Its the ocean run herring...I also use pogies/bunker..whatever I got..Ive had best luck with the oily type of fish...

10 hours ago, BroadSoundBound said:

I've had mine stolen in the past. The first time I pulled my trap later than 8am it was gone. 

Probably the same type of person who steals a kids bike out of the yard. 

At least the bike has some value. The trap is worth next to nothing. What are the thieves even doing with them?