Michael91199

Baitcasting Reel Drag Slipping

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I just made this account, as I am a little desperate to find help with my problem. I’ve owned an Abu Garcia Promax 3 (MODEL#PMAX3-L) for some time now and just recently ran into some issues. If I hook into a heavy fish or hold the spool, I can still crank in the handle and spin it while the line isn’t being pulled in. It has nothing to do with braid slip as I’ve taken all the braid off and the issue still occurs. I have also taken it apart and cleaned and regreased/oiled the necessary parts. When I looked at the drag washers, they were very worn out and smooth, so I had decided to order the Carbontex drag washers. I had just replaced the old washers today and put the reel back together, following the schematic to make sure everything was together correctly. I recreated the same problem, and the issue persists even with the new drag washers. I have tried both a dry and light coating of grease to no avail. However, I've noticed when I take the star wheel off, inside of the clicker spring holder where the spring washers fit like this (), tiny metal shavings are collecting. As I stated, I just regreased everything and cleaned it so the grease shouldn't be a metallic color with shavings present. I'm not sure if this even has anything to do with the problem, but I'll appreciate any help I can get. Thanks. 

I would lock down the drag and pull on the line while watching the spool. This way you can make sure the braid isn’t slipping on the spool. Mark the spool with a sharpie if needed.

You say it isn't the braid slipping, have you tried it with mono? Do you have the braid backed with anything? 

You've owned the reel since new and never had it apart? So it can't be missing pieces? 

Any chance where the spool sits in the pinion gear is worn out enough to be slipping?  Or the shaft inside the spool itself is spinning?  

I wonder if the shavings are coming from an IAR bearing. 

I had a mid 80's 6000 with the same problem.  The axle was a crush fit in the spool, casting muskie lures broke it loose, if your spool was similarly made, that might be the problem.

Tim