mfm22

How does Colton stack up ?

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

How does this companies fly reels compare to others in price range.

Looking around $250 - 350 range found Redington Grande , TFO BVK SD , Lamston Guru 'S'  to mention a few.

Even looked at the next step up Nautilus X series  

Really like the idea of supporting American made products but still want to get a fair deal 

Edited by mfm22

No problems with ANY Colton product. It all boils down to your preference, people can only really point out out what's wrong with a reel. Most of the time if own and fish it we like it. Good luck on your search.

You can't go wrong with owning a COLTON.  I have both the fly rods and reels and love them both.  Fantastic products and customer service if you should ever need it.  Last time I checked everything is on sale on the website... 

From the few searches I've done , the company has a stellar record . 

I guess one of the sticking points for me is the detail of being Made in US  or being Built in US 

I realize it doesn't matter if the product is of a certain quality  but after all this crap we are currently going thru , I've had it with certain imports 

if something is made in US I believe the majority of the components are produced here.  As opposed to Built in ... components  could be imported and then assembled here 

It has been a point  of concern in the watch community for years 

Of the ones initially mentioned by the OP - Nautilus X followed by Lamson Guru.  Re: the Colton reels - depends on the model.  I'd say from reports I've seen the Colton Terrapin is right up there with the first two, certainly edging out the Nautilus X in the larger sizes.  The Redington Grande and Colton Torrent are heavier reels.  You would really want to match them to a heavier class rod.  The Colton CRG-II is an o.k. reel, and fairly durable but IMO the other two Coltons are the ones you should be looking at (in the mid-price category). 

In 7-8wt the Nautilus X is a real winner - they debugged the earlier lightweight FWx reels and completely re-designed the frame.  I have the FWx 7/8 and kinda wish I had waited for the X

In 9/10 - get one of the Coltons, preferably the Terrapin (agree that you should call Bob)

Above 9/10 - Colton Torrent or Grande (the Torrent is better looking IMO)

More money:  Look at the Galvan Torque in any size.

If you buy something else and have a problem, you talk to some schmo in God knows where.  If you buy Colton and have a problem, you talk to the owner of the company. 

Seams a simple choice now, doesn't it?

BTW you probably won't have a problem, unless you treat your gear like Mike O. . . 

That guy can kill anything.

Except the love I have for you  Oakie:howdy:

Colton has its components made in the USA. The spool and body are CNC  machined in the USA. It is assembled in the USA

You get incredible customer care from an American who lives in the USA

Doubt you can find a better reel for same money and even a bit more.

FWIW I fish Colton’s reels. They work for me. I like them a lot.

You have to go out of your way to have problems with them

If you wet suit and swim with them and drag them up the side of rocks when climbing out no reel will give faultless service.

I do this from time to time. Reels are easy to service after being abused. If you don’t abuse them you will have longish time’s between servicing.

Why would any of us want to support manufacture in certain Far East countries right now. 

Hope this helps. You can always call Bob.

mikey

Edited by Mike Oliver

My CRG’s are the smoothest reels I have ever used by far. I put it side by side with a “premium” brand and had the associate compare them. He chose the Colton over his brand. Add in the customer service from Bob, it’s a no brainer. 

I have a Terrapin and I would say it's as good or better than reels costing a lot more. I don't have the "service" experience that many on here do in terms of caring for your own stuff, but generally I hit it with fresh water after about 2 of every 3 trips and it's good to go. I also have a VS VF which costs a bit more, but VS pedigree is hard to beat and again like Colton, talking to a real person if necessary is not too difficult.

19 hours ago, mfm22 said:

How does this companies fly reels compare to others in price range.

Looking around $250 - 350 range found Redington Grande , TFO BVK SD , Lamston Guru 'S'  to mention a few.

Even looked at the next step up Nautilus X series  

Really like the idea of supporting American made products but still want to get a fair deal 

Definitely throw the Orvis Hydros into the mix.  That reel fishes way above it's weight class. Orvis just updated the reel few months ago and fixed a couple of bugs on the beloved old one (like the weird drag knob).  I don't think you can purchase a better fly reel for ~$250.

The Colton products are well regarded on the forum but I have never used one personally.  I like Nautilus stuff but have heard quite a few mixed reviews about the X.

Terrapins have been shown to have issues with sealing, based on evidence from several users. The drag is excellent. Very strong and smooth. Just don't leave it underwater for long periods of time and you'll have few issues.

The Torrent is the best Colton offers durability wise. Aside from the ball bearings it's completely corrosion proof, totally flush through design. Heavy for it's size but that makes it an outstanding TH rod reel. Not as much drag as the terrapin and not as smooth. But as close to unyielding as I'm aware of to conditions and abuse besides Charlton and mako so far as I've seen. Though I have concerns about even their seals. I have a friend who has a Charlton who is going to put it to the test in the surf for a season and see if it's actually sealed as they claim.

I echo what Mike said. No reel is going to work perfectly forever. Colton's are excellent for the service you get with them. Better than all but the highest end companies and products. Bob Filgers service is absolutely second to none. That's worth a whole hell of a lot if you're going to treat your gear harshly.

6 hours ago, RedGreen said:

he Torrent is the best Colton offers durability wise. Aside from the ball bearings it's completely corrosion proof, totally flush through design.

Yeah, and the only one is the one in the center drag disc to which the clutch pawls lock to when line is pulled out.

6 hours ago, RedGreen said:

No reel is going to work perfectly forever.

That is true. That is one reason I like reels that I can open and overhaul - and why I tend to open reels not meant to be opened by the user.

But, I think, if you seal well enough, you can make a reel that will outlast the required lifetime many times over. The sliding speeds are low in fly reels (less than 10 ft/s*) in comparison to the industry in which I work (up to about 20 ft/s) thus the situation is easier. Also the pressure difference between the outside and inside of the reel is much smaller than what we are used to (more than ten fold difference assuming a feet or two of dunking for the reel).

*Line coming from spool at 3.5" diameter (quite realistic), sealing diameter 3/4" (bigger than on most reels and thus gives higher sliding speed here) and fish is taking line 30mph (how many really have fish pulling this speed much I ask you? I fish for tunas, bones, tarpon, have fished for sailfish too and I don't see it much - if at all) -> 9.4 ft/s.

And this speed is only occasional where the stuff I work with are running around 5000h per year with normal service interval of 5 years.

The problem in reels is weight and space thou. A good seal could weigh and could take too much space without proper engineering.

There is a balance of performance and cost. Most Fishers do not by choice put their gear through the same extremes of use that a few of us do. We are more interested in the quality of the fishing experience and if that means our gear gets dunked under water for both short and long periods so be it. If it means that it is quicker and easier when wading to let the reel go under water when changing spools we do. I carry spare spools in a belt mounted waist bag so they are totally immersed for most of the fishing session. I don’t want the inconvenience of a ruck sack or sling pack or those get in the way chest packs, Especially when wading in surf. I crave and need freedom not restrictions caused by gear.

The flip side is my reels seals get by passed and the internals get filled with sand and salt and water. On an extended trip  my focus is fishing sleeping and eating in that order . I can’t service my reels every single day. Can’t be a slave to them I expect them to be a servant to me. Experience has shown that  a full service is needed about every six or seven days . Colton reels are easy to clean and service by anyone who can spell their own name and tye their own shoe laces. Yes after a few years they will show some corrosion but they still function. The spools have  little to no corrosion so worse case I have to ask to buy a new body.

Guys who fish their reels more kindly but only rinse in fresh water rather then wash and scrub off the salt are likely to get issues if they rarely if ever open up their sealed reels . When our hands are dirty is just running them under the tap going to get them clean.

The only way I know for gear to last for ever is to never use it.

I suffer from mental illness but am thankful it does not include anxiety about the longjevity in particular of my reels.

If there is a Charlton reel suitable for shore based fly fishing and I had the funds I would treat it just the same and it would be interesting to learn just how good the sealing is on this highly regarded reel.

As long as a fly reel will still function reasonably well whilst being dunked  and after being dunked during a fishing session and can be easily serviced by the user and parts are readily available it meets my criteria. Your criteria might well be very different .

Colton reels do and I really enjoy fishing them. They can take what is thrown at them and I get a buzz out of that.

Mike