Cadman T

Indexing gears on spinning reels

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

So I have 4 gen 1 pearl Stradics, that I occasionally use. However they need to be really cleaned inside. I took one apart, and put everything back together no problem. However the reel is not the same as it was before. There is a hesitation on every full rotation. I am definitely thinking that I should have marked the pinion and main gear before I took them out, so the teeth would be back in the same position when assembled. Can anyone tell me how to mark or index both gears, so when I take them out, I can put them back on the same teeth. Thanks in advance.

Take the side cover off and rotate either one 1/2  turn back or forward. take care not to rotate anything when pulling back the side cover.

If that reel has to be timed then there are timing marks on the main gear and eccentric gear somewhere . A 55s okuma trio has an elliptical ecccentric gear and it has to be timed with the main gear or the reel will lockup on the first rotation . Both gears have a timing mark , so look around on the gears and see if you have a painted spot or a dimple mark on the gears where they are supposed to mesh .

On 5/23/2020 at 2:45 PM, stripefromshore said:

If that reel has to be timed then there are timing marks on the main gear and eccentric gear somewhere . A 55s okuma trio has an elliptical ecccentric gear and it has to be timed with the main gear or the reel will lockup on the first rotation . Both gears have a timing mark , so look around on the gears and see if you have a painted spot or a dimple mark on the gears where they are supposed to mesh .

l don't think Shimano ever use elliptical oscillating gear, he is able to turn the reel just binds in a Curtin area could of over shimmed the main gear by taking a shim from the other side.

Thanks for the help guys. No elliptical gears and no over shimming. All parts were put back the same way as unassembled. I'll see if I can get a gear set for this reel and see what the cost is.

Its normal..they all run rougher if you dont match the teeth up to the same position. Been through this issue many times when I first started servicing reels. I found that reels like Penn 706/704s dont experience it anything like reels with lesser quality gears..serviced many without getting gears back in synch,and they were fine. Cast zinc gears were of course the worst..intolerable to me...I have a Daiwa Advantage that I serviced years ago and it felt like hell afterwards,,got lucky cause Daiwa had one main and pinion set left in stock..bout $26,but the reel was like new.

On 5/25/2020 at 0:07 PM, Cadman T said:

Thanks for the help guys. No elliptical gears and no over shimming. All parts were put back the same way as unassembled. I'll see if I can get a gear set for this reel and see what the cost is.

Shimano certainly wouldnt have parts.