north-shore fisha

Seat recommendations for sore rump

24 posts in this topic

Looking for something with a little cushion for my tush.  I'm in a Ocean Kayak Trident. After about 2 hours, my ass/tailbone is killing me and I can't do more than a few hours.  I've tried the garden kneeling pads and they haven't helped.  Thanks for any advice.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Take Motrin or similar before launching! Get a dolla store inflatable pool ring, partially inflate it with a few breaths, it will  raise your COG minimally.

0D47ADC8-663E-42B5-B093-2E0BCEF364EE.jpeg

Edited by cheech
Pic

1 hour ago, north-shore fisha said:

Looking for something with a little cushion for my tush.  I'm in a Ocean Kayak Trident. After about 2 hours, my ass/tailbone is killing me and I can't do more than a few hours.  I've tried the garden kneeling pads and they haven't helped.  Thanks for any advice.

Curious:

What seat do you have?

Is it the old seat or the newer ACS2 seat?

59 mins ago, cheech said:

Take Motrin or similar before launching! Get a dolla store inflatable pool ring, partially inflate it with a few breaths, it will  raise your COG minimally.

The pool ring sounds interesting.  I may give that a try

1 hour ago, saltfisherman said:

On amazon, search gel seat cushion. I’ve used these before and they are comfy. You will also sit an inch or two taller. 

I was looking at those earlier.  Did you notice a difference in stability?

44 mins ago, north-shore fisha said:

I was looking at those earlier.  Did you notice a difference in stability?

Not at all. I used it in a hobie outback, the older design with the cheap seat like you have. I then went to a sea to summit GTS series and never looked back. It’s not cheap, at $200 keep your old seat for the day you want to sell the kayak. I know have that seat in a Viking kayak. 

Take a look at their site. They are having a sale now. 

https://www.surftosummit.com/collections/gts-series-kayak-seats

Posted (edited) · Report post

27 mins ago, saltfisherman said:

Not at all. I used it in a hobie outback, the older design with the cheap seat like you have. I then went to a sea to summit GTS series and never looked back. It’s not cheap, at $200 keep your old seat for the day you want to sell the kayak. I know have that seat in a Viking kayak. 

Take a look at their site. They are having a sale now. 

https://www.surftosummit.com/collections/gts-series-kayak-seats

Thanks for the info.  Those are nice looking seats. Which one of their seats did you get?  Hopefully my stimulus check gets here before the sale ends!

Edited by north-shore fisha

53 mins ago, north-shore fisha said:

Thanks for the info.  Those are nice looking seats. Which one of their seats did you get?  Hopefully my stimulus check gets here before the sale ends!

The expedition series. I’ve now had that seat for 7-8 years and it’s held up very good. No problems with broken straps or loosening of the straps. The brass clips are good. The back support is great as well the seat bottom has not broken or lost cushion. 

This gets used in salt all the time. I give it a little fresh water spray but nothing crazy in way of soap. 

I can relate.

I have found that changing the angle of the seat back helps a lot.  Like, a upright position for paddling out to a spot. When it starts to get uncomfortable, recline the seat some. Then readjust for the paddle back.

On long days I put a throwable float under my seat.

https://www.amazon.com/Flowt-Throwable-Flotation-Cushion-Approved/dp/B005Q3UD3U

I can run my bottom seat straps through the handles to keep it in place. 

Surf to Summit GTS Elite seat.  Just bought a new one to replace my old one which had worn out ... $135.00.  Worth every penny.  I paddled one half a season with a stock OK seat like the one you pictured ... horrendous.  The GTS seat makes a world of difference.  

Look at small inflatable seat pads. I use to use one all the time. The trick is to inflate it just

enough so that your butt does not hit a hard surface, but not so much as to feel extra unbalanced

in the boat. It also helps to keep your butt dryer at times.