stroipaHuntah

Upper Middle Back Pain Fishing

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Hi All,

For years now I've been experiencing a back pain that kind of takes away some of the fun from fishing for me and is a general distraction.  It's in the middle of my back.  Sort of between my shoulder blades, but not in my shoulders at all.  Perhaps even just below shoulder blade level of my back.  It's kind of a dull ongoing tingling pain.  Not sharp or sudden, a slow burn that doesn't go away until I lay down.  It sucks.  Weird thing is fishing is the only thing that does it to me!

About me: I am an office monkey.  Sit in front of a computer all day, probably don't have great posture when doing so.  I am pretty fit though.  Lift weights 3x a week, deadlifts squats etc., crossfit, play rec hockey, ski, run,  all that ****.  So I'm in pretty good shape, 6'0 190, not really overweight (I think?).  None of the above activities give me this pain.

Has anyone experienced this?  Any exercises or stretches you recommend?  Once this COVID **** ends I'm going to see a professional, wondering if I should start with physical therapist, chiropractior, or what?  Hoping I can benefit from someone else's learning curve here.

Thanks

I've developed some back pain while standing and fishing. 

I've found standing on firm and level ground extends my outing.

Another must for me is evenly distributing any tackle I may carry.

Using suspenders with my surf belt is very helpful on any distance walking.

Any uneven weight carrying can end my trip early.

Good luck and be well.

i get it too when fishing for a while... i too am a desk jockey... i sort of chalk it up to a weak middle back area that has slowly developed over time from sitting at a desk.  I typically get it the worst when just standing and casting in one place, if I'm moving around, seems to not bother me as much.  Sounds like you are more active than me, though i do run a couple times a week 4-5 mile runs and lift when I have time.  During this time, I would look up middle back exercises on "u"tube and see if that helps any.  i will usually try to do some from time to time or if I am going on a fishing trip where I know I will be standing a lot.  it does seem to help, but would probably be more helpful if I did them more often.  

shoulder straps making up for poor fitting waders could do it.

Shoulder bags as well.

A wading belt that keeps your waders where they should be may help.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I had the same problem when I did a lot of computer work. There could be a number of problems, but your workstation is probably the most likely culprit. Make sure you chair is the right height and your elbows are at a right angle or less so you don't have to lift your shoulders and bend forward to work on the keyboard. Having the screen at the right height also helps.Other than that it could be you have a disc out of position, or your dominant side is so much stronger than you weaker side you are straining the muscles on the opposing weak side of you back. In my case it was my dominant right side straining the left side of my back. Lifting lose weights that work both sides equally and stretching helps.

It is a typical problem for former athletes that have built themselves up and then stopped working out on a regular basis. The stronger side of your back tears or strains the weak opposing side.

Maybe it is time to get a standing desk, and, or get your back checked out.

Edited by Jay Blair

Before starting any program to relieve pain , I would try lite stretching daily for a couple of weeks ( since you have been in pain for some time )  i think weight training is dangerous . Try to change your sleep position , possible elevated pillow , I had a problem with my back and the pain saw pretty strong , found out it was not my back it was my neck , who knew , Johnson & Johnson puts out a free stretching program on their site FREE  If that don't help get an xray .  

I get a similar pain after casting plugs for a while,  but I had a torn labrum in my left shoulder for which surgery was unsuccessful. Just because the pain isn't in your shoulder doesn't mean it isn't a shoulder injury, believe it or not. I'd go see an ortho and get an MRI. 

Doing proper stretching with a physical therapist who knows what their doing should help. Thankfully there is a lot of good stuff online to start with. I've done some stretching routines with an youtube physical therapist whose channel is called "Ask Dr Joe". She has lots of routines and vids. She has a short one on middle back and lots of longer routines for the back and pretty much anything you could think of. The vids have a little goofy feel to them, but she is very competent and really explains and shows you what to do very well. Her stuff has helped me and she gets lots of good reviews. I would start doing some back ones and maybe some shoulder ones for awhile and see how it goes. I'll bet you feel better. Good luck.

What type of rod are you using? I found that I was getting the same type of pain every spring after any session that lasted longer than 90 minutes. My back bay/schoolie rod was fast action. The pain completely stopped when I started using a moderate action rod. 

2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Shoulder bags as well.

A heavy bag will do that to me. Tin n teaser time in the fall can be rough

just like everyone have suggested do some stretching ,loosen up those round bulk muscle , standing on uneven sand or rocks when fishing doesn't help. all you need is more bumps and hook up will take care of that pain . It's funny how you find another hour of energy as soon as you get a bump.