Shipwreck

9.9 Outboard

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hey Folks

I am mostly a surfcaster and river rat, but I have a really nice 14ft Starcraft Deep V.  I am in NJ and my favorite lakes only allow up to a 9.9

I am looking for a new or last years model 9.9 with 20" shaft.  Electric Start.  I am liking the Honda for sure.  I like 4 stroke.

But I am not a motor guy or a boat motor guy.  So maybe I dont know what I like.

Any advise or experiences you care to share?  Its a bit pricey buying new, but I dont trust used outboards.

The Honda’s are nice but not as many dealers as say Yamaha  

Im partial to Yamaha I have 3 dealers by me but my Yamaha is 10 years old fuel injected and I have never had 1 problem with it!

or had it in the shop for anything.

11 hours ago, makorider said:

IMO, get an older johhnyrude 15hp 2 stroke and take the labels off.  Or, put 9.9 labels back on, even better.  They look exactly the same

Thats an old trick.  It aint worth the 5hp

I would go with a 9.9/15 older Johnson or Evinrude two stroke that’s running any day.  I like the ones with the thermostat on the top of the engine. They require minimal effort to keep running.  

On 4/22/2020 at 7:05 PM, makorider said:

IMO, get an older johhnyrude 15hp 2 stroke and take the labels off.  Or, put 9.9 labels back on, even better.  They look exactly the same

This.  Plus those motors are bulletproof and crazy easy to work on.

What date range for an older Evinrude?  I have had several older used 9.9s and everyone has been a nightmare.  I dont want an easy to work on outboard, I want one that does not need to be tinkered with everytime I try and fish, lol.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I feel ya.  I have an 84 25hp tracker that has needed minimal service.

I replaced a cracked fuel line and new plugs and impeller and that is about it in the past 30 plus years.  Starts right up 

There are several great furums out there all about these motors if you look.  

I would find one that runs and buy it.  They can be had cheap 

Put it in a shop and have it rebuilt to new and you have a motor that will last your lifetime and more so long as you make sure to always run the proper oil fuel mix.

Edited by Captain Ahab

Posted (edited) · Report post

that.

I stll have my 73 6hp.  Literally thousands and of abusive wot saltwater hours from my brothers and I.  Very similar to the 9.9

Family has an 84ish 9.9 thats been trouble free as well at our Lake Champlain camp.  lots of use on that one too

trick to these things is not storing w fuel in the carb

To answer your question, any year that runs.  They havnt changed

Edited by makorider

Bps usually have the mercs  9.9 for around 1600-2000  new . They finance  and if you

open a new account they usually have an additionaly 10 percent off plus rewards points .did this about 5 yrs ago. Usually rewards points double on holidays. Use it to your advantage. After a month or two do a transfer balance to a diff card for 0 percent interest on transfer  for 12 -24 months.  Payment would be 60 for a 2 yr pay off or 120 for a one yr. 

Most all newer 4 stroke small hp motors are made by tohatsu. So most are rebadged tohatsu. 

Look at Nissan I had a 2005 and sold it last year. No issues at all Tohatsu/ Nissan  make a lot of the other mfg engines in the smaller hp motors. Cheaper and lighter than most.

Ed's marine superstore in virginia has a website that says shipping is included. They have a suzuki 8 hp for $1700.

But they sell mercury, honda, suzuki and yamaha, I believe

The green shirt folks know when you're going too fast, especially when everyone else on the lake is 1/3 slower than you, and they can read serial numbers too.  Might work for some, not worth it for me.