Bigred78

Weakfish in NJ

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I really want to try and catch some weakfish this year. I've only ever caught 2 and that was in the surf accidentally a decade ago. I heard jigging pink zoom is the way to go. I cannot find any recent info on where to look for them. If someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. I am not asking for a specific spot or anything but time structure depth water temp would be greatly appreciated.

Forsythias bloomed. It’s been time for at least the past 2 wks. Man I miss weakfishing more than anything. I’d give up stripers for the rest of time for weakfish like it used to be. 

Just now, Gully said:

Forsythias bloomed. It’s been time for at least the past 2 wks. Man I miss weakfishing more than anything. I’d give up stripers for the rest of time for weakfish like it used to be. 

I dont mind a chase id hapily get skunked a few days chasing them. I just want to have the best shot possible.

I've been told sod banks in south Jersey especially in the Wildwoods are really productive, and also was told theyre a sucker for shrimp in these locations, but never gave it a shot.

They like similar stuff to stripers. Structure and bait. They eat the same things bunker and all. Finding tide runners now is much harder than stripers so you've really got to put in time. Those who know aren't really going to help you because they are so scarce now. Good luck

Posted (edited) · Report post

boat or surf.?   what area are you in . ?     I will message you with where I know if your in the area.  you can only keep one so why not help ?

as for general by boat,the deleware bay holds them now, but all spikes. you can find a keeper but you would be hard pressed to find a 20 incher.

also I don't use pink as that draws the little sharks where I get them.  plain top and bottom rig with shedder crab on top and chicken soaked in shedder oil on bottom.

Edited by coolhandfluke

My son and I have been getting into them every summer for the past 10 years in South Jersey from the beach.  Pink zoom, live killies, and small white buck tails all work.  I hit a blitz of them last summer on a jetty - all foot long fish that hit on every cast for 45 minutes then stopped cold.  I would never go out specifically trying to catch them, as they're completely unpredictable and always end up as by-catch while fishing for flounder and stripers.  This one was caught at dead low tide at high-noon on a bucktail in June and released to catch another day. 

June 2018 weakie.jpg

30 mins ago, coolhandfluke said:

boat or surf.?   what area are you in . ?     I will message you with where I know if your in the area.  you can only keep one so why not help ?

as for general by boat,the deleware bay holds them now, but all spikes. you can find a keeper but you would be hard pressed to find a 20 incher.

also I don't use pink as that draws the little sharks where I get them.  plain top and bottom rig with shedder crab on top and chicken soaked in shedder oil on bottom.

I’m located in northern jersey usually I head down around the raritain bay but I wouldn’t mind a further drive. Since the stocks are so low I’m doing catch and release only. Thank you for the help!

I have caught a few over the years in CMC... Outback in the fall I caught a couple under some lights at night but they were 12"-13" on pink zooms.  Caught 2 in the summer in the surf bucktailing for flounder along a jetty.  I know that the larger ones have a brief run in the spring and we see a few caught everyyear as flounder season first starts up.

41 mins ago, Bigred78 said:

I’m located in northern jersey usually I head down around the raritain bay but I wouldn’t mind a further drive. Since the stocks are so low I’m doing catch and release only. Thank you for the help!

Jamaica bay and raritan bay typically have some nice weakfish to be found during the summer. Just keep in mind some years they show up and some they don’t. There’s been a decent amount of spikes some summers. Still not like it used to be of course.

1 hour ago, Bigred78 said:

ok . I know cape may area.thats why I asked

On 4/21/2020 at 9:17 PM, Bigred78 said:

I dont mind a chase id hapily get skunked a few days chasing them. I just want to have the best shot possible.

Time is close call fin Atics ocean city or hodge Podge Avalon and I am sure they will tell you or u could send me an email.

some years pretty consistent at some of inlets down south.

also in the fall the small bridges with lights are hot although chances are u won’t get a spot from locals libeling peanuts. For some reason they park there cars block or two away and always take there catch somewhere else to release. Hmmmm.

Used to be lot more prevalent. Delaware bay self proclaimed weakfish capital. I fished almost every weekend but targeted fluke in the stakes.

been there last 2 years Dead Sea for most part. Tons of bunker of all size and bay anchovy but mainly sharks and small blues. Fortescue 1 bait shop used to be tons. 

also catch all weakies u want 1 to 2 miles off southern coast with top bottom rigs again 30 years ago not anymore 

We had some in Staten Island last year, none too big but decent. They were hitting spoons a little bit but using a hi low rig and snagging a peanut and letting it drop was most successful.

4CDF24EA-311E-4268-983A-0DC92B838169.jpeg