Boredom lead to this...

Rate this topic

tailspin

I have had some extra time on my hands and came up with the following (photos attached). I am not saying this will work for striper, or even that's it's good....however it's the first skirted artificial bait I have ever made and would love to know what's good, and what could be done better. 

I will be using this for striped bass either jigging while drifting in current in 25-100ft of water depending on the speed or troll with an additional weight attached 6-8 feet from the lure. 

Again, it's my first go at this...it's probably not done correctly. Looking for constructive criticism on how to make the rigging/coloring better. Lastly, is there a better way to use this combination of things? 

IMG_0666.JPG

IMG_2705.JPG

IMG_6774.JPG

A somewhat similar lure is (occasionally) used for tarpon at night. It's just a hogy with small skirt.

c15f42db36147463d7ebbba26f126e63.jpg.fbd6a1910362ba68c2ababbafdcceeb8.jpg

Don't know if the skirt provides any action coming through the water or just increases the profile of the thinner hogy. I follow one captain in SW Florida who uses this setup somewhat regularly at night, and he does pretty well 

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

Thanks for everyone’s feedback thus far. I’ll give it a shot, play around with the colors and possibly the weight, and go from there....

Still unsure about the black and white, thinking maybe a black or pink skirt would be better.

Time will tell, and I got nothing but time on my hands....

12 hours ago, tailspin said:

Thanks for everyone’s feedback thus far. I’ll give it a shot, play around with the colors and possibly the weight, and go from there....

Still unsure about the black and white, thinking maybe a black or pink skirt would be better.

Time will tell, and I got nothing but time on my hands....

Experiment with the weight a little, keep the colors basic and maybe try a thin paddle tail instead of a sluggo…………….

Don't over think it...……..