Flips

What’s a good multipurpose canal/surf rod

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

I know this question probably has been asked a million times but I’m trying to see what the SO pros say from experience.

im look for 200-500 range

It depend on how you fish. Some people only jig, some only plug, some only chunk. 

I personally use a Lamiglas XRA126 or XRA1205 most of the time. Both can be  purchased as custom builds from CMS in New Bedford for $350. Used you can find them for $200-250. 

The legend surf is another recommendation. 

I will not recommend a foreign rod in that price range. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 mins ago, ged said:

It depend on how you fish. Some people only jig, some only plug, some only chunk. 

I personally use a Lamiglas XRA126 or XRA1205 most of the time. Both can be  purchased as custom builds from CMS in New Bedford for $350. Used you can find them for $200-250. 

The legend surf is another recommendation. 

I will not recommend a foreign rod in that price range. 

I personally am looking for something that does everything, chunking, Jiggin, poping, etc.. sucks that I can’t look around tackle shops bc of covid19 but have yo deal with it.

Edited by Flips
Horrible grammar

Lami 1321m oldschool or the new style is a nice all around rod and can be had at cms for $360-400. Great for surf,boulderfields, and plugging at canal. Personally I would get a second rod and reel all together for jigging the canal when you have the money. If you plan on fishing 90% at canal then they have a few all around rods for the canal but I wouldnt want to use those in the surf.

For a few seasons I used two TFO 10' 6", 2-6oz rods to do everything. I had my long cast reel, a Shimano Ultegra XTC 10000, on one for popping. I had a 'Gosa 8K on the other for jigging. I find the rod's sweet spot to be 2 - 4 oz. However, I confidently load up 5oz jigheads with sluggos when I'm trying to reach deeper holes in the canal. The rod is really good for jigging 2-5oz jig heads with sluggos. Or jigging the two largest Savage sand eels, the 3 1/2 and 5 oz ones. Super strike  2 3/4oz poppers fly with the TFO. 

If your constantly jigging heavy, 5, 6 oz or more, I'm sure you'd eventually break the rod. The 3-8oz, 11' rod would probably be a better choice. I've never fished the 3-8oz rod.

Now that I have used the TFO for a few seasons the things I don't think it does well is throw light lures, like 1 oz or 1 1/4 oz SP minnows or Bombers, they don't load up the rod enough. It's also a little stiff for extended popping. If your throwing poppers for an hour or two it's ok. If you're popping for 3, 4 hours or more, it'll tire you out.

I'm getting the (new) 10' 6" TFO that's rated from 3/4 - 4 oz, that is softer, a Mod-Fast rod, rather that Fast one, for popping.  I'm dealing with a partial rotator cuff tear so I want an easier casting rod. I also tend to do marathon outings where I'll fish from 7pm at night till 8 a.m. or later the next morning so having an easier casting rod that won't tire me out as quickly is desired.

For what it's worth I also have the 11' TFO, that's rated for 1/2 - 2oz. I use it strictly on the beaches. It throws lighter lures very nicely. However, it doesn't have enough backbone to land a big cow, mid-tide, at the canal.

38 mins ago, Flips said:

sucks that I can’t look around tackle shops bc of covid19 but have yo deal with it.

Red Top in Bourne is still open. They have a big selection of rods that you can check out.

Edited by zak-striper

36 mins ago, zak-striper said:

I also tend to do marathon outings where I'll fish from 7pm at night till 8 a.m. or later the next morning so having an easier casting rod that won't tire me out as quickly is desired.

I tend to do the same thing from usually 1am-6pm maybe, we spent a lot of time up in the canal and up towards plum island. 

41 mins ago, zak-striper said:

Red Top in Bourne is still open. They have a big selection of rods that you can check out.

Oh man.if only I knew that early we traveled up to some random tackle shop in New Hampshire to stock up. Sheesh..

42 mins ago, zak-striper said:

For a few seasons I used two TFO 10' 6", 2-6oz rods to do everything. I had my long cast reel, a Shimano Ultegra XTC 10000, on one for popping. I had a 'Gosa 8K on the other for jigging. I find the rod's sweet spot to be 2 - 4 oz. However, I confidently load up 5oz jigheads with sluggos when I'm trying to reach deeper holes in the canal. The rod is really good for jigging 2-5oz jig heads with sluggos. Or jigging the two largest Savage sand eels, the 3 1/2 and 5 oz ones. Super strike  2 3/4oz poppers fly with the TFO. 

If your constantly jigging heavy, 5, 6 oz or more, I'm sure you'd eventually break the rod. The 3-8oz, 11' rod would probably be a better choice. I've never fished the 3-8oz rod.

Now that I have used the TFO for a few seasons the things I don't think it does well is throw light lures, like 1 oz or 1 1/4 oz SP minnows or Bombers, they don't load up the rod enough. It's also a little stiff for extended popping. If your throwing poppers for an hour or two it's ok. If you're popping for 3, 4 hours or more, it'll tire you out.

I'm getting the (new) 10' 6" TFO that's rated from 3/4 - 4 oz, that is softer, a Mod-Fast rod, rather that Fast one, for popping.  I'm dealing with a partial rotator cuff tear so I want an easier casting rod. I also tend to do marathon outings where I'll fish from 7pm at night till 8 a.m. or later the next morning so having an easier casting rod that won't tire me out as quickly is desired.

For what it's worth I also have the 11' TFO, that's rated for 1/2 - 2oz. I use it strictly on the beaches. It throws lighter lures very nicely. However, it doesn't have enough backbone to land a big cow, mid-tide, at the canal.

Also those are thanks for naming those rods I’ll check out what fits me :)

46 mins ago, dynasty said:

Lami 1321m oldschool or the new style is a nice all around rod and can be had at cms for $360-400. Great for surf,boulderfields, and plugging at canal. Personally I would get a second rod and reel all together for jigging the canal when you have the money. If you plan on fishing 90% at canal then they have a few all around rods for the canal but I wouldnt want to use those in the surf.

I’ve been looking through many rods, there all great can never chose one haha, but I’ll look into the lami’s heard there great overall. 

From what you mentioned,  I advise against one rod.

Heavy and light......    keep them separate.    One's a 3/4 ton pickup truck and the other a commuter car.....   Hard to do everything with one setup....

If you do, you will be giving up smaller offering lures, which might be what produces hits......   A heavier setup than needed will make you stop fishing sooner, or swap into bait fishing.

+/- 10 ft 3/4-2oz surf rod  4500ish reel

9 ft 2-5 or more depending on what you jig with....  5500 maybe bigger reel.

If you're spending that kind of money on a rod, get the right rod for the job.   There's a reason there is no high end mini-van in the automotive world.......

I always bring a lure rod when bait fishing.....  Also, you fish for that long, you're gonna want a second setup.

Can't tell you what I'd jiug at the canal, I don't use that much weight in the jetties I fish.  I Rarely use 4oz.

I've been very very happy with a tsunami airwave elite 962M.   I got their 11ft, but I can fish the 962m for longer.  And, this rod can fish other species too.   Fluke from shore, go after a bluefish or albie run in the jetty.....   I have a bad disc in my neck, so thats why I like their 9'6" one, but would still love it anyway.   Can cast an albie snax or ava jig into outerspace it feels like........  About $200....

8 hours ago, Flips said:

I tend to do the same thing from usually 1am-6pm maybe, we spent a lot of time up in the canal and up towards plum island. 

Oh man.if only I knew that early we traveled up to some random tackle shop in New Hampshire to stock up. Sheesh..

Very exspsive

I agree with the 1321M. It will throw anything you want from the beaches, eels, plugs, bucktails, etc. A 1321M will also do fine throwing most plugs in the canal.

Save up and get a second rod for jigging the ditch. If you find yourself trying to use one rod for everything you'll more than likely be unsatisfied a large part of the time.

Edited by Sandbar1

15 hours ago, Flips said:

I know this question probably has been asked a million times but I’m trying to see what the SO pros say from experience.

im look for 200-500 range

Just get an ugly stk. Why spend alot of money when no matter how hard u to try and take care of it It's stick going to get banged up and look like ****.  Trust me the ccc will do that

3 mins ago, Peterf said:

Just get an ugly stk. Why spend alot of money when no matter how hard u to try and take care of it It's stick going to get banged up and look like ****.  Trust me the ccc will do that

Because nice gear makes a big difference on the water when your putting your time. Try heavy jigging an ugly stick for hours. No fun......