JohnP

A shoutout to Boat US/Geico...NOT

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

So I get a text I’m going to get charged $800 for renewal of my boat insurance. All good except, 

my boat is shrink wrapped, with no plans to put it in the water any time soon. Everybody is slow coming back on line. Some information that ‘marinas’ may open, but good luck trying to get a mechanic to help prep the boat. I’ll be lucky if I’m in the water by July or August.

im getting a little tired of paying for things full price knowing I can’t use them... taxes for government services, college tuition for watered down online courses, and now boat insurance... 

so the woman (from Florida) let’s me know not to worry, there is a special 15 day COVID program, where if you can’t pay for insurance premium you are still covered. 15 extra days gee thanks. Awesome. But I explain that’s not the problem. Is there a way to suspend my insurance until I know what I’m doing? 

No!

I can take a lower level of coverage, but it’s still a few hundred dollars, but otherwise the policy lapses ...and if I try to renew later I will loose ‘returning customer discounts?’

What? So how much are these returning customer discounts? Can she quote it in percentage or dollar terms? 

No! I’m told. Providing a new quote is a long process and she can’t even provide a rough estimate.

Gee thanks Boat US/Geico, I’m in one if the hardest hit areas of the country, authorities and locals get angry if guests should come out, so there is no way I can bring out guests and use the boat with me. Marinas will be somewhat empty. 

but go on and twist the arm of those impacted the most to get those premiums. 

Was involved in an accident that was not my fault, the at fault person had Geico.

Geico would not pay for the cab fair to go get a U-Haul truck, or for the contents of the refrigerator in the camper.

They did pay for the U-Haul rental but nothing else, I immediately changed the  one vehicle I did have insured with them

to USAA and I saved money! 

Geico sucks and is hard to deal with will and not pay out what is due and will lowball claims, they tried to tell me that my 

camper should not have been totaled, sorry my insurance paid me.

Look else ware for coverage.

Many of us are capable of picking up a wrench and doing what needs to be done to get in the water.

Maybe you should take this time to learn the same.  You won't be splitting any atoms.  Being you seem to like to complain to the world about the money you are spending, maybe learn some basic maintenance and save yourself a ton.

Side benefit:  That knowledge of your systems you gain could save your ass someday if things go sideways

25 mins ago, makorider said:

Many of us are capable of picking up a wrench and doing what needs to be done to get in the water.

Maybe you should take this time to learn the same.  You won't be splitting any atoms.  Being you seem to like to complain to the world about the money you are spending, maybe learn some basic maintenance and save yourself a ton.

Side benefit:  That knowledge of your systems you gain could save your ass someday if things go sideways

if I could ever get a straight answer on like how many filters there are in a yamaha 300 - instead of 12 different online answers- I’d consider going for it. One of the most googled questions is about ‘hidden filters’ 

im happy to learn some things, knowing I’ll make some mistakes. Not sure I want to ‘make mistakes’ with this outboard. 

there is a yamaha mechanic school that runs about a week where at the end you are qualified to do 100 hour servicings. You think I can just watch a couple YouTube videos instead ?

38 mins ago, JohnP said:

if I could ever get a straight answer on like how many filters there are in a yamaha 300 - instead of 12 different online answers- I’d consider going for it. One of the most googled questions is about ‘hidden filters’ 

im happy to learn some things, knowing I’ll make some mistakes. Not sure I want to ‘make mistakes’ with this outboard. 

there is a yamaha mechanic school that runs about a week where at the end you are qualified to do 100 hour servicings. You think I can just watch a couple YouTube videos instead ?

Any reputable dealer should be more than willing to tell you what filters are needed for annual PM.  So then yes, youtube would then be a great resource.

If you are serious, PM me, there is an online dealer that has the best parts pricing (my personal pet peeve with Yam, they rape you) and is willing to talk/troubleshoot.  Just a terrific resource.

Don't worry about hidden filters.  I don't even know if your 300 has them, thats more of a line of inquiry when you are troubleshooting issues.  Lets stick to the basics and get in the water.

Oh..and I wouldn't worry about 'mistakes'.  Again, we are not cracking the atom here, and there are plenty of online resources to ensure you know what you need going into it

state regs may vary so may be different where you live? 

However, if you own the boat, you can cancel the insurance and buy it from somewhere else. If it is on your property it may be covered by your property insurance. If elsewhere, it may be covered by theirs but now you would be stretching it a bit. 

fees for going uninsured / long app process for returning? those are all threats. I'll bet they are begging you to come back and drop their prices lower. It is a good idea to shop around every now and then. Most insurance companies are screwing us. All part of the plan. Small increases in costs, yet depreciation is ongoing (except for certain assets like homes). 

4 hours ago, JohnP said:

So I get a text I’m going to get charged $800 for renewal of my boat insurance. All good except, 

my boat is shrink wrapped, with no plans to put it in the water any time soon. Everybody is slow coming back on line. Some information that ‘marinas’ may open, but good luck trying to get a mechanic to help prep the boat. I’ll be lucky if I’m in the water by July or August.

im getting a little tired of paying for things full price knowing I can’t use them... taxes for government services, college tuition for watered down online courses, and now boat insurance... 

so the woman (from Florida) let’s me know not to worry, there is a special 15 day COVID program, where if you can’t pay for insurance premium you are still covered. 15 extra days gee thanks. Awesome. But I explain that’s not the problem. Is there a way to suspend my insurance until I know what I’m doing? 

No!

I can take a lower level of coverage, but it’s still a few hundred dollars, but otherwise the policy lapses ...and if I try to renew later I will loose ‘returning customer discounts?’

What? So how much are these returning customer discounts? Can she quote it in percentage or dollar terms? 

No! I’m told. Providing a new quote is a long process and she can’t even provide a rough estimate.

Gee thanks Boat US/Geico, I’m in one if the hardest hit areas of the country, authorities and locals get angry if guests should come out, so there is no way I can bring out guests and use the boat with me. Marinas will be somewhat empty. 

but go on and twist the arm of those impacted the most to get those premiums. 

Do you really want to suspend the coverage on your boat or do you want to keep it covered but pay less (or nothing) because you are unable to use it?

7 hours ago, makorider said:

Any reputable dealer should be more than willing to tell you what filters are needed for annual PM.  So then yes, youtube would then be a great resource.

If you are serious, PM me, there is an online dealer that has the best parts pricing (my personal pet peeve with Yam, they rape you) and is willing to talk/troubleshoot.  Just a terrific resource.

Don't worry about hidden filters.  I don't even know if your 300 has them, thats more of a line of inquiry when you are troubleshooting issues.  Lets stick to the basics and get in the water.

that’s not true at all! I had a big shop tell me my lift was shot and they give me a break on a new one for $3,900. Then I connected with a Yamaha master mechanic and he told me I had some air in the line. Fixed it fir $75.

5 hours ago, BARhopper said:

Do you really want to suspend the coverage on your boat or do you want to keep it covered but pay less (or nothing) because you are unable to use it?

I’m told the bulk of my policy cost is liability on the water. I’m looking for a reasonable price if it’s shrink wrapped sitting in my yard all year. And if I’m not going to use it due to really extraordinary circumstances I’m looking not to get some BS that if I don’t re-up now I’ll loose some ‘discount’ that they can’t tell me what it is. 

4 mins ago, JohnP said:

that’s not true at all! I had a big shop tell me my lift was shot and they give me a break on a new one for $3,900. Then I connected with a Yamaha master mechanic and he told me I had some air in the line. Fixed it fir $75.

what 'lift'?

I guess a sucker is born every minute, but really...its not that difficult.

28 mins ago, makorider said:

what 'lift'?

I guess a sucker is born every minute, but really...its not that difficult.

I’ve had my own customers cancel work and I gave them all their money back, no song and dance, it’s COVID, I’m not playing any BS that they might lose a discount. 

one already came back. 

different set of values 

45 mins ago, JohnP said:

I’m told the bulk of my policy cost is liability on the water. I’m looking for a reasonable price if it’s shrink wrapped sitting in my yard all year. And if I’m not going to use it due to really extraordinary circumstances I’m looking not to get some BS that if I don’t re-up now I’ll loose some ‘discount’ that they can’t tell me what it is. 

if your not using you should give a call to your homeowners insurance.

when i had my boat at home they added coverage on my homeowners for a very reasonable rate, provided it stayed in the yard.

2 hours ago, riggler said:

if your not using you should give a call to your homeowners insurance.

when i had my boat at home they added coverage on my homeowners for a very reasonable rate, provided it stayed in the yard.

yeah, that’s prob a better option. Lol Geico has been bothering the crap out of me about switching to their homeowners. Next time they call I’ll tell them the story about their boat policy