Wildcard777

Star Rods VPR Series - Fantastic Rods!!!

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I don't usually posts reviews on rods but i just had to say the Star Rod VPR Series is one of the BEST off the shelf rods I've ever owned and I own a plethora of rods to include: ODM, CTS, Fiberstar, Lamiglas, St. Croix, Gloomis, TFO, Tsunami, Shimano and of course Black Hole.

I'm really impressed with the quality, power, sensitivity and castability of this rod.   The low riders are placed optimally and the grips are very sticky in the wash.  These rods are so light yet durable for the rigors of surfcasting...I highly recommend...

20200418_075437.jpg

star.jpg

1 hour ago, LockedDrag said:

I had one for 2 years. Great at first but gets ugly and develops the most annoying flat spot after a season of use. 

Could you explain ugly and flat spot for me. I may be interested in those rods also. Thanks.

4 mins ago, Brdhntr47 said:

Could you explain ugly and flat spot for me. I may be interested in those rods also. Thanks.

When I first got the rod it bends uniform    and casts really crisp. After a while when you fight fish and cast, you don’t really get that uniform bend in the rod anymore. You will see the first 18-24 inches or so of the tip bend and the rest of the rod looks like it isn’t doing anything. Hence the “flat spot” where it seems like the rod tip only bends til it gets to that spot

3 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

When I first got the rod it bends uniform    and casts really crisp. After a while when you fight fish and cast, you don’t really get that uniform bend in the rod anymore. You will see the first 18-24 inches or so of the tip bend and the rest of the rod looks like it isn’t doing anything. Hence the “flat spot” where it seems like the rod tip only bends til it gets to that spot

15 mins ago, Wildcard777 said:

I've had mine for 2 years+ and plug extremely hard- pencils, spooks, metal and hundreds of fish.  Maybe you got a dud...?

This^

The first 24 inches may have de-laminated internally. Not visible from the outside.

I have the 8’ one piece Stellar Surf. I have fished the rod every day for the last 3 months. I’m throwing 1/2 oz. to 2 oz. and have no problems. I wish Star made a one piece 9’, I’d like to try that.

On 4/20/2020 at 4:15 PM, Wildcard777 said:

I don't usually posts reviews on rods but i just had to say the Star Rod VPR Series is one of the BEST off the shelf rods I've ever owned and I own a plethora of rods to include: ODM, CTS, Fiberstar, Lamiglas, St. Croix, Gloomis, TFO, Tsunami, Shimano and of course Black Hole.

I'm really impressed with the quality, power, sensitivity and castability of this rod.   The low riders are placed optimally and the grips are very sticky in the wash.  These rods are so light yet durable for the rigors of surfcasting...I highly recommend...

20200418_075437.jpg

star.jpg

Sorry for jumping on a post that’s almost a year old, but I’m interested in getting one of these rods for surf plugging.  I’m trying to decide between the VS1020S106 (1-4 oz medium) and the VS1225S106 (2-6 oz mh). Both are 10’6”.  
curious which rod you have and also if you’re opinion of it is still the same. Thanks, Bob

B9B80AF2-BC44-4E41-B9E7-CD8504771ED5.gif

5 hours ago, BT Bob said:

Sorry for jumping on a post that’s almost a year old, but I’m interested in getting one of these rods for surf plugging.  I’m trying to decide between the VS1020S106 (1-4 oz medium) and the VS1225S106 (2-6 oz mh). Both are 10’6”.  
curious which rod you have and also if you’re opinion of it is still the same. Thanks, Bob

B9B80AF2-BC44-4E41-B9E7-CD8504771ED5.gif

You are comparing apples to oranges with regard to these 2 rods IMHO. 

10’6 3/4-4 medium & 10’6 2-6 medium-heavy rods are very different.  
The 10’6 3/4-4 is perfect for most NE surfcasting.  My little brother Spanky has one and says it’s a good rod. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, Wildcard777 said:

I have the 10'6  3/4-4 and 2 inshore rods.   Never tried the models you want but I assume they are great.

That is one of them. I wrote 1-4 oz by mistake.   Can you please tell me what the max weight that you feel comfortable throwing on the 10’6” rod you have? 

Edited by BT Bob
My dog ate my homework