Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Highlander1

Eel Tank

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Picked up a 10 gallon tank today at a garage sale and am gonna keep eels. Just need some info, I have an airstone and filter (do i eed a filter?)if Im filtering i think i might have to feed em, crush a crab every week or so? if i dont filter how long can they live in aerated water? And i think im gonna keep them in a laudry bag or mesh bag for ease in retrieval. Am i missing anyhting? i

I've never aerated water for eels, they usually stay alive for about a week w/ the stone and a cold rag over em'.. If the water was aerated, I'm not sure if the eels will drown in their own slime like they would if ya just threw them in a bucket w/ water..

A filter might help filter out the slime that comes off their body - it might be a good investment!

I have a clear plastic 55 gallon drum in my back yard with a water pump. They'll live in there forever. Just feed them a clam or crushed green crab every once in a while. Only problem I had was the water got really cold on cold nights and some eels died.

[This message has been edited by Striper Sniper (edited 04-06-2002).]

Eels are easy to keep alive. You have to give em lotsa air though, dont crowd em in too tight, feed em once a week (at most). Dont need a filter, just change the water when it starts to get a bit dirty (every other day or so). They'll keep for months, heck some will probly live a year. And if you get a dead one here or there, just rig em up smile.gif

Yeah, filter is kinda redundant.

Just change the water when it gets smelly...in other words, every day. upck.gif

Keep well aerated.

-FWW

------------------

fww.gif

The Pause That Refreshes

MAKE SURE YOU KEEP THOSE EELS COVERED IN THE

HOUSE. I LEFT IT OFF AND THEY SQIRMED RIGHT OUT OF THE TANK ON THE FLOOR IN MY MOTHER'S BASEMENT. SHE FLIPPED WHEN SHE TURNED ON THE LIGHT AND THEY WERE WIGGLING AROUND.

AROUND THE FLOOR.

Highlander1 : One other gross hint -

Save that eel water in some gallon milk jugs. No better eel scent in the world like the real thing. I've got a small stream that leads out into a spot where I fish. I leak the eel water into the stream for about an hour before fishing. Brings in fish from a good distance. You can also freeze the milk jugs an just dump them in the spot you fish for a time release kinda thing.

It's fairly gross - the slimier the better.

I've actually got an arrangement with a local bait shop. I drain off their eel tanks once a week for my slick.

BTW, don't spill any of it in your vehicle. But if you're having an argument with the neighbors..... you guess the rest.

I would probably buy them at a local bait shop although potting is farly easy, i just have enought o do with everyhting else. Thanks for the tip on the eel water but im gonna pass on that, i know me, that slimy juice will be all over everyhting, but it does sound interesting. If i gotta change the water everyday, maybe ill give up naother great idea. No wonder I just buy em and fish em.