Kooky

April 2020 Reports/Observations

Rate this topic

73 posts in this topic

Reports/Observations (please generic locations, especially with current access issues) for remainder of April.  

Fished way up in the bay, wind was brutal (as it has been pretty consistently) and water was a bit dirty. Lots of garbage in the water (lots of purple gloves).  Got 5 small fish dragging white soft plastics on the bottom, first stripers of 2020.  Few other folks out fishing but not many, didnt see any other fish caught.

Have been out 2 other times to different locations without much results, other than seeing someone catch a random fish.  Water is still feeling very cool and i have seen no small bait around.  Things are slowly moving, need a few warm sunny days as water temps seem to have stalled.

herring scouts were really early, but the main body of fish seems to be pretty much on time. squid run seems weak. 

I saw a good push of herring a few weeks ago on a local river but didnt see much the last 2 trips but a lot could have happened in between trips.

Waiting to see some silversides start to show up soon, havent seen many grass shrimp around yet either.

Out front is consistent for me.  All on cocahoes, but I haven't really thrown much else.  Fish from 14"-23" so far...catching 1-5 fish per outing...outings are about an hour.  Hands still suffering badly in the wind and cold.  Only fishing one spot that I have easy access to.  Standing on the beach the whole while.  Yesterday for example, no fish at 6:30am-7:15am.  4 fish from 2:30pm-3:30pm.  lol

Been getting my ass handed to me fishing some mid bay spots. Only been fishing in the evenings when I get some free time but haven't had a bump in days. Hopefully some more consistent southerlies and warmer temps can help. Haven't had the chance to hit the south shore or some of the more popular tidal river spots in SoCo. 

7 mins ago, Littoral Larry said:

Been getting my ass handed to me fishing some mid bay spots. Only been fishing in the evenings when I get some free time but haven't had a bump in days. Hopefully some more consistent southerlies and warmer temps can help. Haven't had the chance to hit the south shore or some of the more popular tidal river spots in SoCo. 

The weather and constant drops in temps make consistent bite tricky.  Feel like if we get a few warm days with a light SW wind and things will get moving a bit quicker.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I got about 20 small ones with lice, the holdovers leaving are bigger around 24 inches. All in the bay from shore.

Edited by bassing
add

2 hours ago, Kooky said:

The weather and constant drops in temps make consistent bite tricky.  Feel like if we get a few warm days with a light SW wind and things will get moving a bit quicker.

so by that rationale today'e 50kt souwesterlies should really push up this time frame

1 hour ago, gill said:

so by that rationale today'e 50kt souwesterlies should really push up this time frame

light SW  wind.... light SW wind... This will cause messy water... and me to stay home and drink :) 

Got out before sunset, decided for an easier access spot versus a longer walk and was clearly the wrong decision.  People were out fishing EVERYWHERE along this stretch.  Fished till after dark and not a single bump, and didnt see anyone else catch anything either.  This is a place people are clearly being funneled to, its a spot i regularly fish so rather annoying, will have to fish more after dark when trying there. No bait no fish, was a rather annoying trip (will teach me not to be lazy).

Plan to do some bay spot scouting tomorrow to find some other spots to fish, as i cannot access several of my usual haunts.  They need to open up some access soon, hopefully that starts after the May 8th order expires.