RyanJ_88

New Rod Recommendations (HELP!)

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

So I’m looking for a new all around surf-rod that can handle from spring back bays to light ocean stuff. I recently bought a 10’6” Salt X rod rated 3/4-4oz, and let me tell you my shoulder is sore af from throwing it in the wind all day yesterday. Honestly I feel it’s too big for me. Currently have a 9’ prevail 3/4-3 (broken) that I am looking to upgrade. My initial upgrades included:

-Salt X 8’6” 1/2-2.5oz

-Mojo Surf 9’ 3/4-4

-GSB 9’ 3/4-3 

-Avid 9’ 1-4oz

.... and now I’m stuck. The mental gymnastics   have taken over and I need some help. I know the price difference between mojo and GSB are twice cost of the mojo, but I’m looking for something to buy that will last. Thanks again guys and if there’s rods you think should be considered please give a shout, any and all advice is really appreciated :banghd:

Just get a mojo I fished that rod for years, it held up great caught tons of fish on it. Still have it, sits in a pile of broken ones needs a new guide.. cant beat it for the price honestly. 

The avid is a nice rod but definitely faster, I’d take a look at the dna series from odm or genesis if you’d like to spend a little more. I fish a genesis and absolutely love it, they’re around the avid price point. Lots of guys love the mojos I just personally do not like st.croix surf rods. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Maybe go for something with a moderate action, they are easier to cast. GSB, ODM genesis. Look into the new lamiglas carbon surf it’s $200. I have a carbon surf and a mojo and I think the lami is better quality  and comes with a butt cap lol. Also the tsunami air wave elite is a great rod. Super light and great quality. They make a 9 foot 6 inch that  could be perfect for you. 

Edited by fishtheeast

That Avid is a fast rod, and feels stiff compared to your Salt X's moderate fast action. The GSB is a great choice and would be my pick on that list. I own an 8'6 Tsunami Airwave Elite and the 10'6 which are similar to your Salt X in terms of action and feel. I like both rods a lot price considered. is pretty versatile. 

If you're going to throw darters/metal lip swimmers/bigger plugs, go with something other than the 8'6 Salt X. I haven't fished the Salt X's yet, but if it's anything like the 8'6 Airwave Elite, It does not handle 2oz swimmers well at all. It'll throw SP's and smaller topwater lures, BT's, metal, etc OK. A 2 3/8oz SS Darter? No way haha

25 mins ago, TopwaterPete said:

That Avid is a fast rod, and feels stiff compared to your Salt X's moderate fast action. The GSB is a great choice and would be my pick on that list. I own an 8'6 Tsunami Airwave Elite and the 10'6 which are similar to your Salt X in terms of action and feel. I like both rods a lot price considered. is pretty versatile. 

If you're going to throw darters/metal lip swimmers/bigger plugs, go with something other than the 8'6 Salt X. I haven't fished the Salt X's yet, but if it's anything like the 8'6 Airwave Elite, It does not handle 2oz swimmers well at all. It'll throw SP's and smaller topwater lures, BT's, metal, etc OK. A 2 3/8oz SS Darter? No way haha

That is really my main concern with the 8’6” salt x, I know how soft my rod is and I’ve heard the Airwave 0.5-2oz can only handle 1oz well not really get near that 2oz mark. On the other hand I know the action on both St Croix rods will be faster, and the GSB is $400. And then I start thinking about ODM and others. What a conundrum lol.  

2 hours ago, fishtheeast said:

Maybe go for something with a moderate action, they are easier to cast. GSB, ODM genesis. Look into the new lamiglas carbon surf it’s $200. I have a carbon surf and a mojo and I think the lami is better quality  and comes with a butt cap lol. Also the tsunami air wave elite is a great rod. Super light and great quality. They make a 9 foot 6 inch that  could be perfect for you. 

Heard some pretty poor reviews of the carbon surf. Was actually my original upgrade of choice until I read them, and then decided to go in different direction. Maybe that was my first mistake lol 

9 mins ago, RyanJ_88 said:

Heard some pretty poor reviews of the carbon surf. Was actually my original upgrade of choice until I read them, and then decided to go in different direction. Maybe that was my first mistake lol 

Where’d you hear the reviews? I couldn’t find any lol 

Just my two cents, if you want a rod that’ll last don’t go anywhere near the Mojo.

That being said, I know people who own GSB’s that are over 20 years old and they still fish them.

Shop owner — I was thinking 9’ carbon surf and he suggested mojo over it. I’ve heard some poor things about the mojo too so have been spending time analyzing and comparing. Still no closer apparently lol 

I also have heard of Mojos breaking here and there. I have a prior gen candy apple red 11' Avid that I fish CCC with. If something does happen with your St Croix, you at least know their customer service is damn good. 

ODM DNA rods are worth a look; I didn't jump on them like some guys did a few years ago and kinda thought they were overrated crap until I fished one. The taper is quite nice and the rods seem well built. They're liek $250, in your price range.

You won't like the mojo. If you do decide to go with GSB, go with one piece and ask a custom rod builder to do it right.  I cutted 6" from the back of a 1201L. 9'6". I like it so far. More testing is needed once the bluefish show up. 

Mojo’s are the biggest pieces of ****... you can get a odm DNA for that price. Much better and higher quality of a rod. I would pick a gsb but odm makes good stuff to