JCH

Weekly Tying Challenge, Week Of 4/20: Muddler Minnow

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

This has been fun for me, I really enjoy seeing all the ways you guys spin up interpretations of flies to suit different fisheries.  I particularly like that you all are so fishy: these flies are clearly designed to catch fish!

Speaking of catching fish, this week's pattern is perhaps of the most effective patterns in history - in both fresh and salt water.  The Muddler Minnow.

Again, lots of room for interpretation.  One could argue that Tabory Snake Fly is essentially a riff on the muddler minnow.  The Kinky Muddler pays tribute right in the name. 

So, traditional or creative, let's see 'em!

Wasn’t aspecting this one ;)

But Im glad you did JCH, I was able to find Dave Whitlock’s, where I was taking the inspiration from and  show below.

I would like to start with the book recipe  and the bait fish pictures that I saw in my local stream match categories III & IV from the book 

Book recipe calls for MATUKA BOTTOM MINNOWS but I free style my patterns. Step 9- is on one of the pictures below.

Im consider all 3 Muddllers in different live stages. All lead wire weight plus the one with dumbbell eyes for real deep pools.

One of the fish that took the smaller muddller show in last picture.

Dave Whitlock’s GUIDE TO AQUATIC TROUT FOOD is a master piece, is a pleasure to read, so much to learn from it to only read it once. Very happy that this post help me to somehow take a look back to my beginnings.

Best 

Viete

97B74B92-398B-4E62-B1E6-04C0D191587B.jpeg

32CE959A-7906-484D-9FD5-73B986B0257D.jpeg

8B40B574-A2B3-4952-B127-69C8891B832A.jpeg

52DCFE19-2510-4BFC-AFC4-41D410163047.jpeg

A00E0204-8DFE-4086-8190-38B0475B2D1B.jpeg

12145159-4782-4CD6-93BA-48016F70E35E.jpeg

0EC812DB-E1B7-49DF-A79B-73A4A14FB2CE.jpeg

A5F7961F-F36E-4366-8D4E-A31859629402.jpeg

Well I don't really have the right materials but here's my first attempt at a Muddler Minnow. Not much to look at but fun to tie none the less. Wanna try a few with things like marabou or zonker strips. I bought deer belly hair years ago before I realized its not quite what you want for a caddis. Still not totally sure what its good for but seems to work here. 

I've always had a couple in my vest but never even considered fishing them cause I have no confidence in them, just seem too buoyant. Now that I've tied one I'll give it a shot. DSC_0001.JPG.5e01e3503b674a504956944d00149437.JPG

Glad you posted it up here This will be a challenge for me , I'll give it a try to put something together , thanks for sharing 

What a coincidence! I was into tying muddlers this week and here's my production so far... Just kidding!

So, heres a good part of the muddlers and marabou muddlers I have in my fly boxes. Just to show that these flies have always been an important tool in my flyfishing, which up to six years ago had been mostly for brookies, smallmouths and Atlantic salmon  (since then stripers) and, as a consequence,  kept me busy at the vise for many, many hours of fun tying. And so you will not be surprised if I just show and not tie muddlers this week.20200422_130550.jpg.46cfa9de73d0d5d48a94507fae092ebb.jpg20200422_131016.jpg.bb76fe5894c31c98a827cbef8a2b0a9c.jpg  

The muddler minnow tied to fish dry as an attractor pattern is my favorite freshwater fly ever. I tie them in many sizes and colors to imitate all sorts of things.

IMG_2410.jpg.257a3adf7154018b9c2a583d4e0b1e92.jpg

Two of the muddlers or variations in my boxes, in this case marabou muddlers. The first one is a local fly, the Pinard (one of the co-designers), a super fly on trout (rainbows, browns and brookies), smallmouths and it's now making its way on the Gaspé Atlantic salmon streams. This fly came about when Pinard who fished the Saint-Lawrence River a lot for big rainbows and browns as well as smallest, observed schools of a slim minnow with a blackish back and a cherish belly. Not a fly tier, he sat down with one and came up with this simple but very effective fly :copper wire body, long (2 x hook lenght) black marabou wing, sparse natural deer body hair collar on the sides and top of wing only and a small (I spin one pinch of natural deer body hair) muddler head. The long orange throat (bucktail and a few strands of orange KF) is my addition to the original that I fish very successfully for lake brookies.

The second one is a yellow marabou muddler credited to Montana's Dan Bailey. It's been by far my best wet fly for smallies over quite a few decades. 20200423_074852.jpg.47ddb5d8e02f7761e0f4a99e63f1ad12.jpg20200423_074634.jpg.bb9aac9cf535710405ee049e4b47361d.jpg

Great serial number of post guys.

It’s really inspiring to see from a  low profile SOLER member like me.

I’m not much of a tyer here, sorry for not to be able to present any decent pattern related to the post subject, I just can’t tie anything smaller than a 1/0 hook.

I would like to share a clip for you to watch, and witness not only how the original muddler looks like, but how is tied by Don Gapen itself, no bobbing holder and the clip is about 10 minutes long, but once he reached the body tinsel step, it took him 3 minutes to get to the head trimming step before he fully completed the fly. Just a lesson of what the old masters tyers concept was all about. Less is more!
Quick and easy to find materials to tie and reach a good enough abstract bait profile imitation pattern to just get back to the water ASAP.

Today’s patterns must pass a Instagram  grill approval before any test in the water to really see if it works.

Just a golden lesson piece that we all should look in to it more often.

Thank you for sharing the great work guys, I really appreciate this kind of content about each one personal patterns variations that best work in your local waters.

Stay tight Sol

https://superiorcountry.ca/fishing-and-hunting/tying-muddler-minnow-dan-gapen/

I dunno if I love or hate tying these.  Must’ve broke my thread off at least 5 times and don’t even wanna think about how many times my wraps spun out sending hair everywhere.  

Kinda like this tricolor one though.  

05157C46-6E75-4BAF-B5FB-CF0CF73B5883.jpeg

Hook 1, chuckbucktail: good job, they will catch. No secret to spinning bucktail but sound basic technique and practice, practice, practice. And use the right thread: if you're beginning to spin deer hair, more so when it's not over a bare hook, use at least 3/0 thread. Me, I use kevlar thread not for strength (it's strong enough that if you pull too hard it will cut the deer hair) but because it is slick and I find that if I cover the material over which I will spin the deer hair with this thread, it will be easier to spin the hair. That being said, I'm sure others do it differently with as good if not better results.

One different technique you may look at is Gartside's way as explained in his sbs (with pictures) on how to tie his Beastmaster General (a very good striper pattern). Just Google "Beastmaster General fly pattern" and you'll get to it. It's also a useful method to know if you want a two-tone muddler head.

2 hours ago, Suave said:

One different technique you may look at is Gartside's way as explained in his sbs (with pictures) on how to tie his Beastmaster General (a very good striper pattern). Just Google "Beastmaster General fly pattern" and you'll get to it. It's also a useful method to know if you want a two-tone muddler head.

Love this!  I'm going to give it a go for my submission this week.

A couple more, the Missoulian Spook, popularized by Dan Bailey, and a white muddler originated by an Atlantic salmon guide on the Sainte-Anne River. Muddlers are very good for Atlantic salmon (fish them on a riffled  hitch and it makes for spectacular takes).20200423_074935.jpg.4027b521b6da5ad7e7ce82fb45361d36.jpg

20200423_075009.jpg