Captain Ahab

Lets talk topwater

88 posts in this topic

On 5/14/2020 at 7:06 PM, The TideRunner said:

And I'm not %100 sure about this, but I don't think they have the same amount of leisure time to spend fishing like we do.

Well yeah... it is common knowledge that they spend all of their free time perfecting their sushi rolling craft. Who has time to fish?

Here, the stripers change their mind yearly on a bone color or chrome . You can be fishing bone and if they are on chrome you won't get a strike and vice versa and it doesn't matter if it's sunny or cloudy it's all about the picky fish nature

Xcaliber spitting image.

I'm pretty sure they quit making them,  but when I find them, I buy them all.

20200521_175830.jpg

My favorite top water lure is a vintage Dalton Special,  one of the  original prop baits. 

Had a  good  morning  today with at least 3 lmb!

I have the whole  collection of colors and sizes,  they all  work great!

You  do  need to tune the  props to spin just  right. Blade pitch  and  rake matters. 

20200530_082810.jpg

20200530_082940.jpg

20200530_102509.jpg

My Rio Rico popper came in earlier this week as did my P Line 10lb top water line.

Used a heavier Loomis rod and a shimano

Stradic xgfk.  Had to try them today. No bites as conditions were not right for top water though my son got one with a scum frog. When spooling the line I thought it was a bit thin and that controlling the popper would. E difficult with the light line .

Nope. The lure cast like a rocket and the slightest twitch caused the loudest of pops. I’ll have to learn to be less aggressive with the popping but I am impressed. 
The 10lb line may be a tiny bit too light and if I buy it again I’ll go to 12 or 14lb.

And now off to the BST forum to try and sell some of my LuckyCraft S8 poppers so I can my more Rio Ricos. Oh yeah color wasAurora Ice .

Most fish caught today were on a homemade wacky worm in a night crawler earthworm laminate. Definitely not a top water day with 14 mph winds. 

Finally

Here in NE Pa the topwater bite was on last night.  Been a cool spring but temps are up and so are the fish

Did very well on a Rico Lobo sammy style walk the dog lure in all black

7 bass (nothing big) and 4 slime rocks all smashing my lure 

On 5/28/2020 at 11:23 PM, shb said:

Xcaliber spitting image.

I'm pretty sure they quit making them,  but when I find them, I buy them all.

20200521_175830.jpg

I have several and love them! They're an excellent lure!  They're still producing some of them, Lurenet has them listed, but whether they're the same lures as what they produced years ago I don't know. Most that I have are older models from the 80's, and when I can find them prefer the Excalibur versions. I doubt there's much difference as far as the bodies, maybe some color schemes, but the hardware on the Excalibur versions is better IMO. 

My favorite topwater for both lm and smallies had been a pencil popper. Downsized versions of my striper pencils, mostly 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 oz sizes. Work them just like you would in the surf. Bass will kill them. They cast really well too.

On 5/30/2020 at 5:07 PM, The TideRunner said:

My Rio Rico popper came in earlier this week as did my P Line 10lb top water line.

Used a heavier Loomis rod and a shimano

Stradic xgfk.  Had to try them today. No bites as conditions were not right for top water though my son got one with a scum frog. When spooling the line I thought it was a bit thin and that controlling the popper would. E difficult with the light line .

Nope. The lure cast like a rocket and the slightest twitch caused the loudest of pops. I’ll have to learn to be less aggressive with the popping but I am impressed. 
The 10lb line may be a tiny bit too light and if I buy it again I’ll go to 12 or 14lb.

And now off to the BST forum to try and sell some of my LuckyCraft S8 poppers so I can my more Rio Ricos. Oh yeah color wasAurora Ice .

Most fish caught today were on a homemade wacky worm in a night crawler earthworm laminate. Definitely not a top water day with 14 mph winds. 

My buddy told me HAD TO HAVE a Rico popper is a specific color (can’t remember which). So I bought it. Within the first couple of casts I set the hook on a fish and pulled it out of his mouth and hung the lure in a tree. Never got it back :waah:

So on advice of the "experts " here ( just teasing relax! ) I bought a few Rico poppers. Sold off a few of my lucky craft poppers to finance the purchase.And have yet to catch a fish on the Rip Rico, and the Rico.

Not a blow up, not a nibble, not even a tree.

This morning's outing, my son kicked my butt using a Lucky Craft. I have the Rico's in color that I have been using all along figuring that's a good starting point. Fished fog, rain, twilight. Zip.

I won't give up though. I do like the quality of these lures, and the ease of putting action into them. Another long weekend coming, sp we'll try again. Will report back.

To whoever recommended these $22 lures, I know where you are and I will find you! Then maybe y'all can show me what I'm doing wrong.