Captain Ahab

Lets talk topwater

88 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Heavy Seas said:

If you need a replacement for the smaller gunfish, Megabass makes some smaller walking baits.  Check out the "swing hot" and the "dog x".  Giant Dog X has long been one of my personal favorites

Thank you for the info - I’ll look those up. 

On 5/12/2020 at 10:30 PM, Jim H said:

IMO, a lot of really good lures have come from the minds of Japanese anglers. Seems to me those folks will try just about anything, although I can't say everything they do is really a new idea.

I think the quality Japanese lures are born out of necessity. The fishing areas are limited and competition is keen for not only the spots, but the fish as well. And I'm not %100 sure about this, but I don't think they have the same amount of leisure time to spend fishing like we do. Whatever they design, and make has to work.

And with most of the high end Japanese stuff, it does work. For me anyway.

Those Rio Rico poppers look awesome, and they're now officially on my wish list. BUT, at that price I'd hate to see some toothy critter eat it!

Here in CT, we're picking away at the LMB with topwater stuff, Water temps are just barely in the 50s. Seems about a month behind. No beds seen, no fish looking for spots to make them.

We're about 2 weeks away from serious topwater action.

7 hours ago, The TideRunner said:

There are too pretty to fish with! And the background pattern is nice too. You made these?

I wish I could build plugs . These were made by Poes . 

11 hours ago, The TideRunner said:

I think the quality Japanese lures are born out of necessity. The fishing areas are limited and competition is keen for not only the spots, but the fish as well. And I'm not %100 sure about this, but I don't think they have the same amount of leisure time to spend fishing like we do. Whatever they design, and make has to work.

And with most of the high end Japanese stuff, it does work. For me anyway.

Those Rio Rico poppers look awesome, and they're now officially on my wish list. BUT, at that price I'd hate to see some toothy critter eat it!

Here in CT, we're picking away at the LMB with topwater stuff, Water temps are just barely in the 50s. Seems about a month behind. No beds seen, no fish looking for spots to make them.

We're about 2 weeks away from serious topwater action.

Get the Rico.  You will thank me later.  Something about how it lays on the water really entices strikes.  Compared to othet poppers my ricos just out perform

Also i find that for me anyway they work best with less action that i impart.  I like to try to get them to just wiggle in place no pops at all.  Slow craw also is killer

On 5/15/2020 at 7:08 AM, Captain Ahab said:

Get the Rico.  You will thank me later.  Something about how it lays on the water really entices strikes.  Compared to othet poppers my ricos just out perform

Also i find that for me anyway they work best with less action that i impart.  I like to try to get them to just wiggle in place no pops at all.  Slow craw also is killer

You talked me into it. I'm going to go for the rico rio. I need something bigger to add to the arsenal. Got plenty of smaller ones. I especially like the idea of the bigger hooks.

Just saw a description for P-Line Copolymer Topwater Line. Specifically manufactures for topwater lures. Anybody here ever give this a try? I think I'm going to go for it. It's not like I've never spent money trying out new fishing stuff only to toss it in the trash

I'm better that nobody here has ever done that.

6 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

I use braid and mono leader

Let us know

I e been doing the same for years and have plenty of fish on top water. 

9 hours ago, NewAtIt said:

I e been doing the same for years and have plenty of fish on top water. 

15 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

I use braid and mono leader

Let us know

That's the same setup I use. Braid ( Suffix 832 ), stiff mono leader. But I don't like the way the braid is so easily carried by the current, and the way it slaps around on the surface. It seems that may be spooking the fish. I fish mainly clear water. The braid mono setup works fine when I'm fishing over deep, gin-clear water for smallmouth. But for shallower stuff, my setup doesn't seem to do as well.

So one setup will be dedicated to only top water stuff. Mainly poppers, buzzbaits, and prop baits.

I just ordered the P Line topwater line, paid a little bit extra for faster shipping, so I hope by next weekend I can start my "experiment"

Also ordered a RIo Rico popper.I may end up attaching that one to a chain! I hope to add a few of those to my topwater stuff. I may end up selling off some of my Lucky Craft S8 poppers to finance those.

Dark sky Cloudy no wind day hay here. Truck is loaded. Time to go fishing.

1 hour ago, The TideRunner said:

That's the same setup I use. Braid ( Suffix 832 ), stiff mono leader. But I don't like the way the braid is so easily carried by the current, and the way it slaps around on the surface. It seems that may be spooking the fish. I fish mainly clear water. The braid mono setup works fine when I'm fishing over deep, gin-clear water for smallmouth. But for shallower stuff, my setup doesn't seem to do as well.

So one setup will be dedicated to only top water stuff. Mainly poppers, buzzbaits, and prop baits.

I just ordered the P Line topwater line, paid a little bit extra for faster shipping, so I hope by next weekend I can start my "experiment"

Also ordered a RIo Rico popper.I may end up attaching that one to a chain! I hope to add a few of those to my topwater stuff. I may end up selling off some of my Lucky Craft S8 poppers to finance those.

Dark sky Cloudy no wind day hay here. Truck is loaded. Time to go fishing.

I read the product reviews for the P Line product it seems to make sense for your application.

Experimenting is definitely a fun part of fishing it allows one to expand their arsenal - finding out what works and what doesn’t work. 

Best of luck and hope you report back when you get the P - Line and fish it. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Luck-E-Strike  Black Rubber Worm curl tail 4inch (Walley World $2.00)  Swim it on top the Bass and Pickerel attack it . I fish them in shallow , weedy ,Lily Pads

Edited by ckogel

Back in the Dark Ages, when there was only one type of Rapala, we'd "nod" them just under the surface and wait for them to come up.

A gentle tug and wait retrieve.

I'd have dreams about those little yellow and black eyes popping up out of the water followed by and explosion :)

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 mins ago, Ebbtide231 said:

Back in the Dark Ages, when there was only one type of Rapala, we'd "nod" them just under the surface and wait for them to come up.

I'd have dreams about those little yellow and black eyes popping up out of the water followed by and explosion :)

Those Rapala's caught a lot of fish. I still have several of them, and using them as a topwater lure may be somewhat of a lost art.

I remember the first time I saw a Rebel Jumpin Minnow, I thought, "where's the lip?". :laugh:

Edited by Jim H

2 hours ago, Ebbtide231 said:

I started fishing the Original Floating Rapalas this year and it’s been dynamite for trout, LMB, smallies and pickerel.  

I fished a jointed one yesterday on a farm pond over weed beds and the blow ups on them were incredible. 

‘’Such a versalite lure - I now have a good collection of them.