Captain Ahab

Lets talk topwater

100 posts in this topic

11 mins ago, CoffeeHangover said:

WOW!  I'm not disparaging it but man is that a sight.  It's like someone was shown a gallery of different lures and told to combine all of their features into one.  

jackall-jbink70-hlgdo-binksy.jpg

A Frankenpopper.  Or one built to government specifications. The only weakness I can see is the blade getting in the way of the prop during the retrieve.  

7 mins ago, Philly said:

A Frankenpopper.  Or one built to government specifications. The only weakness I can see is the blade getting in the way of the prop during the retrieve.  

I can just imagine picking algae out of all those moving parts after every cast.

19 hours ago, WorcBoy said:

Fishing a local reservoir from shore. spooks in baby bass or perch or gold/black back rapala F11's

I SUCK AT FROG FISHING!!!! Miss sso many fish no matter what I do. My son laughs at me.

Worc Boy,  try the Lunkerhunt Pop Frog, it has a trailer hook and is mostly weedless.  if the 1st 2 hooks don't get set, the trailer hook does, much each than the standard hollow body frog, and worth the $$.

Casting accuracy is important with topwater especially in lakes.  You need to put it over the fish.

Being able to get the lure next to a tree branch or under overhanging bushes means all the difference.

On 4/21/2020 at 6:40 PM, coastalfreak said:

I was at the lake today throwing a popper, and I just need help with Topwater. I'm having trouble working topwaters (although I find a Spook pretty easy to walk). It's really uncomfortable when I work the lures because the long grip on my rod jabs into my arm, and it's just difficult to fish. Hopefully I'll get it down soon. 

I don't understand how you're hitting your arm....

My rule of thumb, from Rick Clunn ages ago, is to not let the popper pass the waves it makes.

Sometimes I let it sit after the cast, sometimes it takes off immediately, let the fish tell you what they want.

Then there is always the old hula popper retrieve, which is no retrieve or movement at all.

Boring but sometimes effective.

I like that frankenpopper. Was wondering why no love for prop baits. I used to love casting a heddon tiny torpedo then wait for the ripples to stop and give it a twitch. If that didn't cause an explosive strike, changing it up back to the boat would often do the trick. Loved in line and traditional buzz baits too over weeds. Haven't done this kind of fishing in better than 20 years. 

My go to topwater is the long discontinued Lucky Craft S8 popper. The predecessor of the G Splash. Once discontinued I began hoarding them. Wish it was toilet paper I had been hoarding.

I bought at least 50 so far from collectors in Japan. First light, dusk that's what I throw. Bright sun but mirror surface conditions that's what I throw. Deep water for SMB, that's what I throw.

The lure casts like a missile. Pops and gurgles when worked hard. Or walks the dog when worked gently

If it gets a little choppy, I switch to a buzzbait ( all home made ) for LMB, and a prop bait for SMB. Though not one as nice as the one KD put in his post.

After I get a miss on topwater, I'll throw again maybe one or two more times, and then out goes the senko in the same area. I always keep that second rod ready to go.

One thing different I'm doing this year is since I have changed over to braid exclusively except for one rod rigged with floro. I'm going to have one rod rigged with mono for poppers only.

For top water I've been using braid rod with about a 6ft mono leader. The leader has fixed the problem of the lure tumbling around in the air on the cast, but I feel the braid is too limp. It splashes a lot on the surface, and is noisy. My topwater catch rate has gone way down, and I believe it's because of the braid making a disturbance on the surface.

Mono is stiffer, and I'm going to see if using mono makes a difference.

My one gripe about using topwater. Especially expensive ones. There are fish with teeth everywhere I fish. I hate to lose the S8 poppers. They're getting scarce and a bit costly.Seems no matter where I fish, salty or sweet, there is always something lurking around to steal my lures.

On 4/22/2020 at 10:38 AM, CoffeeHangover said:

WOW!  I'm not disparaging it but man is that a sight.  It's like someone was shown a gallery of different lures and told to combine all of their features into one.  

jackall-jbink70-hlgdo-binksy.jpg

IMO, a lot of really good lures have come from the minds of Japanese anglers. Seems to me those folks will try just about anything, although I can't say everything they do is really a new idea.

These lure aren't new, they had been around awhile, although I bought them new and the blade on the belly was my idea. I actually bought these lures to try out on Stripers in the tidal rivers in MD, but won't hesitate to toss either one for bass where I live now.

100_5179.JPG

100_5183.JPG

On 4/19/2020 at 9:09 PM, NewAtIt said:

I mainly fish the Delaware and typically wade so I encounter slow water, riffles fast water, pocket water and deep pools. The other variable is how the fish want it. 

Typically in slow moving pools or back eddies I’ll walk the dog - pause it - give it a few aggressive pops and go back to walking the dog. 

Riffles, deep pools and pocket water - aggressive pops and small pauses.  

Tail end of a pool where the water speeds up I’ll let the bait “ swing “ down stream creating a v wake and throw in a pop here and there. 

It’s a pretty versatile top water bait for the areas I fish - I’ve tried other top water baits and they just weren’t effective for me.  The GunFish is my top water confidence bait that’s literally produced thousands of River smallies for me. 

If you need a replacement for the smaller gunfish, Megabass makes some smaller walking baits.  Check out the "swing hot" and the "dog x".  Giant Dog X has long been one of my personal favorites

Anything Rapala top water...

+100000 for the Lucky Craft gunfish 75

or the LC Kelly J Jr..... 2.25” of awesomeness.... LOL!

0E595298-F51E-4F68-890A-925E21B6DA3D.jpeg