Captain Ahab

Lets talk topwater

88 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Nothing better then bass blowing up on some topwater!

I like a sabre frog which is a hand carved wood with a metal jitterbug style walking lip

Also love my Lobinas Rio rico poppers pricey but worth it

BYbigbass4-20-11.jpg

20200417_190455.jpg

rico-4.png

Edited by Captain Ahab

Beautiful fish, Cap! Nothing beats a topwater frog bite! I love the Terminator Walking Frog.

Agree too with the poppers, i like the Strike King KVD popper. Can’t wait till the pads fill in, and can start throwing that frog!

2 mins ago, Lateral Line said:

Great fish. 

I'm trying some top water for smallies this spring.

For smallies nothing beats a sammy style topwater - they smash the F out of those things over and over.  Mean fish 

13 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

For smallies nothing beats a sammy style topwater - they smash the F out of those things over and over.  Mean fish 

I bought these. They work really well and cast a mile. I see fish up top working alwife schools in early morning. 

I'll look at those you say above. 

Thanks!

15873386086006629891955790771172.jpg

57 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

Nothing better then bass blowing up on some topwater!

I like a sabre frog which is a hand carved wood with a metal jitterbug style walking lip

Also love my Lobinas Rio rico poppers pricey but worth it

BYbigbass4-20-11.jpg

20200417_190455.jpg

rico-4.png

Great bass!

I live for the top water smallie bite on the Delaware - i find July to October to be the absolute best time for top water action in the areas I fish. 

My absolute #1 lure for this is the Lucky Craft GunFish in sizes 75 and 95. The 75 is the absolute # 1 top water smallie producing bait for me but i can’t seem to find them anymore - I think Lucky Craft May have discontinued them. The 95 is almost as good as but not quite as good as the 75 based on my experience.

They cast like a bullet and work well in calm as well as fast water and riffles.  

When the bite is HOT - I’ve gotten numerous doubles - 2 fish on the same lure. 

E7FCE422-14C9-49F0-A7DC-FD9793FC11C0.jpeg

4B095F20-2FD5-45B6-B3AE-CC108AC854E1.jpeg

644337E0-9D7C-48A4-A320-921A635E36FE.jpeg

F999483F-618C-4867-A638-461AD2F53162.jpeg

Edited by NewAtIt

My favorite topwater lure is a buzzbait. It's also pretty hard to do much better than a Devil's Horse. That's one of my favorites. All topwater is great IMO.

7 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

Gunfish looks cool.  Work it like a pencil or does it walk the dog?

I mainly fish the Delaware and typically wade so I encounter slow water, riffles fast water, pocket water and deep pools. The other variable is how the fish want it. 

Typically in slow moving pools or back eddies I’ll walk the dog - pause it - give it a few aggressive pops and go back to walking the dog. 

Riffles, deep pools and pocket water - aggressive pops and small pauses.  

Tail end of a pool where the water speeds up I’ll let the bait “ swing “ down stream creating a v wake and throw in a pop here and there. 

It’s a pretty versatile top water bait for the areas I fish - I’ve tried other top water baits and they just weren’t effective for me.  The GunFish is my top water confidence bait that’s literally produced thousands of River smallies for me. 

I love fishing a topwater lure for anything that will take them. There was a discussion not too long ago about spook type lures. I picked up a couple of Ima Big & Little Stick lures because of that discussion. They're poppers, but are long and can be fished with a somewhat walk the dog movement. The Big Stick is 7" long, and the Little Stick is 5". 

I already have a bunch of surface lures, and still go with the old Rebel PopR's often enough. I like them, but often they're not big enough, so I've added saltwater types of poppers that are in the 4"-6" range. Some are no names or lesser known brands such as Strike Pro. I have a lot more poppers than I do anything else.

Frog's are one of those lures I've had some success with, but probably don't use them enough. 

I like the Storm Chug Bugs too for bass. Also like the LC Gunfish. 

Buzzbaits, I make them so use them. Also will use the Cavitron buzzbaits, which have been very good.

Otherwise, spooks in various sizes & brands, and some of the "Sammy" styles lures I'll throw. I have some of the Ima Skimmers, which have been a good lure. They've got a lot thinner profile that LC Sammy's. 

This is some of the topwater lures I own. The last 4 photo's are not owned. They're from a company called Bad Monkey Lures, and I plan on getting a few of them. These are some of their stock colors, but they do custom colors too!  The buzzbaits are all some that I've made.

thumbnail_IMG_0277.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0544.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0545.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0546.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0547.jpg

0920.jpg

0922.jpg

0923.jpg

0924.jpg

0929.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0548.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0549.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0550.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0551.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0552.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0553.jpg

100_4306.JPG

100_4307.JPG

100_5062.JPG

100_5114.JPG

100_5115.JPG

100_5214.JPG

bigstick.jpg

badmonkey1.jpg

badmonkey2.jpg

badmonkey3.jpg

badmonkey4.jpg

Edited by Jim H

Those are some really nice looking lures. I also like the Storm Chug Bug, that is a solid producer. It also works great for stripers but the only problem is that the hooks suck. Storm should put some better hooks on it.

Yep, hardware is sometimes a problem with a lot of lures. They do that to save on costs. I change a lot of them too, and split rings. As you can see, some of the lures I posted are large, and they'll do double duty for Stripers.

I have often taken photo's of lures when I first get them, and many in the photo's show them with saltwater hooks on them. I'll fish in freshwater with the same hooks, or I may switch them for a black nickel version. Either way, they tend to start rusting at a slower rate than bronze hooks, although they still rust. I'll take the extra strength and sharpness compared to what the factory installs and deal with any rust that forms. 

I usually keep the tail hooks on bass lures, and have switched the belly hook with a spinner blade on some. Of course can't do that with all lures. I very much prefer to have dressed hooks on topwater lures, but that doesn't work well on all of them either.