CLFish5

April 2020 Skunk Only Report Thread - LI / NYC Edition

Rate this topic

516 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, slowroller said:

Fished a few hours Friday and Saturday nights, not a bump. This spring has been very strange, my logs tell me I should be seeing some quality fish, but have yet to find them. 

Spots I usually can bank on fishing alone are starting to be over run by the bucket brigades. Seeing some poaching going on, which I've reported, but not sure anything is being done about it. 

They are all up the river spawning, everything is two weeks ahead

Fished Western SS 6-9pm. Saw one guy catch fish on top at sunset. Nothing for me.

Fished Western LI Sound last night outgoing. Nada.

3 hours ago, Flybyme said:

Schedule definitely seems off from the last few years. Best springs for me have been after really cold winters. 

Yesterday fished the east river with my "friend". He is more like a guy who fishes near me and I encounter him multiple times and we sometimes exchange info but other then his name I no idea who he is. I skunked but he caught a 23 inch fish that he refused to put back. The law showed up not 1 minute latter and nabbed him and gave him a $175 ticket. I do not wish harm on anybody but I chuckled at this. 

Still beating on them but the size has decreased, have not had a keeper on the fly in a week and a half, did see some bunker showing in my bay at dusk...........50-70 depths are loaded with bunker deeper on the machine.

On 5/4/2020 at 9:14 AM, Flybyme said:

Quite true, caught over 100 early on, but they have moved north to spawn. Fish being caught out front and in the back may have spawned down south, or they are resident or holdover fish. When the water hits 60-68 eggs will be flying. As slow as the fishing is some Joisey guys were at this NY launch. 

D13C12BE-55AF-463B-8C16-568FC9848EA9.jpeg

21 hours ago, Fishing-Addict said:

Yesterday fished the east river with my "friend". He is more like a guy who fishes near me and I encounter him multiple times and we sometimes exchange info but other then his name I no idea who he is. I skunked but he caught a 23 inch fish that he refused to put back. The law showed up not 1 minute latter and nabbed him and gave him a $175 ticket. I do not wish harm on anybody but I chuckled at this. 

Glad to hear this.  I've called a bunch of times but they never show up by me on the east river.  Was it some one from DEC?  Hoping they have some Environmental Conservation Officers in the area. 

5 mins ago, Bait Tailer said:

Glad to hear this.  I've called a bunch of times but they never show up by me on the east river.  Was it some one from DEC?  Hoping they have some Environmental Conservation Officers in the area. 

Yup DEC green uniforms and everything. Can regular police officers even give you a ticket for keeping an undersized striped bass? Maybe if they knew the rules but I am not sure of this.

I was speaking to DEC guys patrolling my area. They said a lot of them have been reassigned to security at testing centers. Did see them write summons to bucket brigade on Nassau NS. 

Green Island had a full lot on Sunday at high tide. Tried to get to the west end of Jones at 6pm but the NG was still there on COVID duty. Went to field 10 but was also busy. Wet a line on a less crowded dock. Just nice to hear the whizz and kerplunck.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Should we just move to Virginia or Massachusetts to catch fish?

Or maybe a place like Virginia and Tennessee where you can keep like six 12 inchers per day?

(Not serious about the last part)

Edited by Recruitkim

I feel your pain .. those spots you searching is where I cut my teeth the last 20 plus years   .. I was lucky enough catch the tail end of its golden era .. it’s not the same and never will be ..poaching there was and still is a huge problem.. that pier specially was just another cut in a already cold dead area..  honestly moving away last year I was torn .. leaving my good ole faithful honey holes 10 mins away to a whole new area that I never really explored . Never had to ..  every time I drive by now and see the new booth and monuments and zip line thingys , makes me happy I moved away and kinda sad at the same time