CLFish5

April 2020 Skunk Only Report Thread - LI / NYC Edition

Rate this topic

519 posts in this topic

Grabbed a 6 pack of Pepsi and breakfast for 3. Took the kids with their surf setup this morning. We got there and found fish! I trained them well. :DThe youngest caught a 23" weakfish, 2 bass(released), and 1 bluefish. The big boy hooked into a 32" monster blue that got a wire leader and hook in its mouth. Big boy also caught 2 keeper fluke for dinner and 1 keeper bass(released). I tried the ccw plug that I replaced the hooks last night and tried to repeat yesterday's luck. I got a few bass(released) and bluefish(released) but not like yesterday. The biggest fish I caught was a 21" schoolie bass and most on my favorite lure.

Double header keeper weakfish today jiggin for fluke, bay is hot right now on the fluke/ weakfish bite. Haven’t had a day like this in years from shore...

Seems like several species still west...Manhattan, Brooklyn etc.

South Shore fluking a lil slow for late June... IMO of course

Double header Unicorns?.... my man..you need to play lotto with that luck.

Not posting this to beat my chest but more to offer inspiration that big fish are lurking about and don't give up faith. We weren't far from shore. Had my first 50 Saturday followed by 2 mid 40’s ... was off a friends boat in broad daylight and i was using bait. Really fortunate to cash in on his experience 

That being said, took a skunk today open beach. Had a few small kingfish nibbles on gulp fluke rig and casted to sporadic breaking fish at the very edge of my range with a 10fter and epoxy jig. Hooked up momentarily on a teaser wondering if they were some small spanish mackerel. Threw some poppers way out there for no takers 

Grabbed a 12 pack of Pepsi, some juices, cheese and breakfast for 7. I went with the kids and wife. We found fish but they were hard to catch. The wife caught 4 bluefish and a 29" bass(released). The kids caught a few schoolie bass nothing over 25" but they have fun. I finally caught 2 weakfish after so many hits and miss. I caught a 32" keeper bass(released) and got a tag.

Figured I'd post my first nonskunk report to wrap up my season.  Heading up to NH for a while and know there's a slim chance the bigger stripahs will still be around when I'm back.

Had to break in a new sinking line and got lucky. Went out for some casual sunset table fish (western bay loaded with sea robin, fluke and porgy) but there was way too much small and big bait around to leave before the next tide.  My first truey big bass on the fly on one of the first bulkheads I attempted. Awesome fight. has me shaking all over again just thinking about it.IMG_20200701_050605_398.jpg.2c29f5cf9c35e68b9d50589692b713a5.jpg

2 hours ago, Bait Tailer said:

Figured I'd post my first nonskunk report to wrap up my season.  Heading up to NH for a while and know there's a slim chance the bigger stripahs will still be around when I'm back.

Had to break in a new sinking line and got lucky. Went out for some casual sunset table fish (western bay loaded with sea robin, fluke and porgy) but there was way too much small and big bait around to leave before the next tide.  My first truey big bass on the fly on one of the first bulkheads I attempted. Awesome fight. has me shaking all over again just thinking about it.IMG_20200701_050605_398.jpg.2c29f5cf9c35e68b9d50589692b713a5.jpg

Hell yeah! Awesome fish man. Nice work. 

Tried the same spot out. Grabbed 2 homemade lemon lime mint waters and headed out with the ccw plug and my favorite lures. I caught 3 bluefish(biggest was 23") and 2 schoolie bass (released). I caught 2 stargazers that reminded me of my mother-inlaw. :laugh:

Looks like the bait that were keeping the big fish here have moved on.

This Spring has been interesting.  Typically I'm up early and out to work.  Working from home since March 15th I've gone fishing for 2 hours each morning between 6-8.  I haven't missed a single morning.  I've had some rain, I've had some hail, but for the most part the weather has agreed with me. I hit mostly SS open beach, but I've also hit the GSB and NS plenty.  March was dead, April was slow, May was good, and so was the first half of June.  Feels like things are dying out now.

I've seen pods of dolphins, whales, seals (one followed my bucktail until he was about 10 yards away from me), and too many birds to name.  I've been caught in ridiculous bird blitzes with multiple seal feeding and yet no fish would touch my hook.  I've seen seals napping out on the beach, and deer throwing seaweed in the air over their heads.  Fox sneaking around buildings early in the morning, and horseshoe crabs trying to mate with my waders.  

The Stripers came in April/May for me on the SS and then basically disappeared.  I caught some into mid-June on the NS.  I've been skunked too many times to count. I've had snoozer mornings explode with big shad (fun catch), huge blue fish (one morning on every other cast), and never ending sea robin action.

I know I can catch some puny Porgies on worms right now, but it doesn't really interest me.  I haven't had much luck with anything else in the last 7 days. Trying to figure out where to hit tomorrow.  

Getting out every morning has been my sanity, my time to reflect, and my time to breathe.  Mostly empty beaches but occasionally 6 feet apart with fellow fisherman under a bridge somewhere...either way I find peace. I love the sunrise drives over bridges. I love all the random creatures.  I love shooting back home just as my wife and daughters are getting their day going (who ask about my morning adventures). Not sure if I'll still wake up early every morning if my streak of getting skunked continues, but it has been a trip.  

44 mins ago, mnedbalsky said:

This Spring has been interesting.  Typically I'm up early and out to work.  Working from home since March 15th I've gone fishing for 2 hours each morning between 6-8.  I haven't missed a single morning.  I've had some rain, I've had some hail, but for the most part the weather has agreed with me. I hit mostly SS open beach, but I've also hit the GSB and NS plenty.  March was dead, April was slow, May was good, and so was the first half of June.  Feels like things are dying out now.

I've seen pods of dolphins, whales, seals (one followed my bucktail until he was about 10 yards away from me), and too many birds to name.  I've been caught in ridiculous bird blitzes with multiple seal feeding and yet no fish would touch my hook.  I've seen seals napping out on the beach, and deer throwing seaweed in the air over their heads.  Fox sneaking around buildings early in the morning, and horseshoe crabs trying to mate with my waders.  

The Stripers came in April/May for me on the SS and then basically disappeared.  I caught some into mid-June on the NS.  I've been skunked too many times to count. I've had snoozer mornings explode with big shad (fun catch), huge blue fish (one morning on every other cast), and never ending sea robin action.

I know I can catch some puny Porgies on worms right now, but it doesn't really interest me.  I haven't had much luck with anything else in the last 7 days. Trying to figure out where to hit tomorrow.  

Getting out every morning has been my sanity, my time to reflect, and my time to breathe.  Mostly empty beaches but occasionally 6 feet apart with fellow fisherman under a bridge somewhere...either way I find peace. I love the sunrise drives over bridges. I love all the random creatures.  I love shooting back home just as my wife and daughters are getting their day going (who ask about my morning adventures). Not sure if I'll still wake up early every morning if my streak of getting skunked continues, but it has been a trip.  

I admire your determination. After getting skunked on too many 2am wake ups it has been getting much harder to get out of bed, even for 4 am alarm. 

1 hour ago, Tucker 63 said:

I admire your determination. After getting skunked on too many 2am wake ups it has been getting much harder to get out of bed, even for 4 am alarm. 

Amen to that, I’ve pretty much not gone surf casting for the past month. Disappointed to hear that things may be dying out- wanted to try my luck this weekend.