CLFish5

April 2020 Skunk Only Report Thread - LI / NYC Edition

Rate this topic

248 posts in this topic

Well guys went downstairs to the east river again and a decided to downsize by bunker chunk to about a 1 inch cube and I guess that worked I caught some schoolies my biggest one at about 16 inches but that is about it. It was real chilly and windy so it was a grind but I guess that what happens. Beats being cooped inside with all these people yelling about the end of the world. I also never realized how heavy gear can completely winch in a fish. On my usual freshwater bass combos a schoolie takes about 30 seconds to bring to shore. With this Daiwa df100a which is about a 10000 size spinning reel it is like bring in nothing you can barely feel the fish on the other end and there on the shore in 10 seconds or less. I have a feeling the bite will start in May when this weather warms up a little and the bigger males move closer to shore until then we have to be content with the schoolie bite. Tight lines all and stay safe.

Fished outgoing tide under a bridge today, as well as a nearby sod bank/marsh. SS NC.

No signs of life. I threw everything I had and got Nada. 

I'm at a loss of what to do. Couldnt catch a striper from the shore if my life depended on it.

My spies tell me it is not uncommon to fish 3-4 hours for 1 schoolie present day in most spots ( not all).

Youtubers love it because it's content .... "look at me world I caught 2 fish in 7 minutes" .... but was it 7 mins?

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 mins ago, baldadonis2002 said:

My spies tell me it is not uncommon to fish 3-4 hours for 1 schoolie present day in most spots ( not all).

Youtubers love it because it's content .... "look at me world I caught 2 fish in 7 minutes" .... but was it 7 mins?

Buddy and I had 56 in 4 hours plus we missed about another 30 on fly on the swing with the boat drift and he used soft plastics. From shore you would be lucky to get one or two. One keeper, most decent, a only two were small dinks.

Edited by Flybyme

Posted (edited) · Report post

Bunker is also starting to move back into the north shore harbor/ bay I have been fishing from the sound.

Edited by Flybyme

yesterday was at a prime rip, the howling wind was pushing bait into a cove.

Nada, even the seals rode out the storm elsewhere.

36 mins ago, Flybyme said:

Buddy and I had 56 in 4 hours plus we missed about another 30 on fly on the swing with the boat drift and he used soft plastics. From shore you would be lucky to get one or two. One keeper, most decent, a only two were small dinks.

Boat fish don’t count!

Shoreline is tough love ....  kayakers cleaning up just out of casting range ( I have good sources ).

Fish holding on bottom in 20+ feet

I'm shore bound... so yep it sux

Shore and surf fishing never, ever, never, sucks.

Never.

People are spoiled and start crying if they don't catch 60+ pounder on every cast.

Picked up a half dozen fish between 22-26" with soft plastics one night last week on the East River. I threw my back out somehow a day or two later, so haven't been able to get out again. Hopefully a few more days of rest and I'll be good to go. 

5ea7be8d9c3f9_71B1C03C-19FD-4A94-8A64-8CE893319E802.thumb.JPG.8abfaf6eb11c475824692159bde16608.JPG