April 2020 Skunk Only Report Thread - LI / NYC Edition

Rate this topic

fishguy62

1 baby fluke in 3 hours then 4 nice blues and 1 legit mid 30’s Ole time beast that i casted to 3x and missed in 3ft of water and finally hooked up on the 4th 20ft cast. When its your lucky day its your day all fish caught on the same frazzled hairy piece of 20lb fluro fluke rig with a stillwater tied on and 10lb braid. 

Sounds like we are all fishing the same area!!! ( LOL ).

Hit the inlet location by 5am - just about bottom of the tide,  fog thick as pea soup.

Few gents pulled in scattered blues and sea robins the first 10 mins I was there and then we hit dead  low slack and the bite died just as I set up.

Soaked a clam rod and tossed lures, every 15 mins or so my clam rod would take a hit, I would run over to set the hook and nobody home  ( I rubber band my bait so small critters aint getting it ).

This went on 4-5 times, if I held the rod in my hands 'nobody home' , put the rod down and start casting my other rod tap tap tap.  G_d damn hidden camera show if you ask me.

Took a few casts out in front, nothing but surfers...found yummy structure but not even a tap.

5 hours and headed home with a HEAVY HEAVY skunk smell on me.

I know you guys would love to lay a good ribbing on me, but I kid you not I am seriously feeling dejected.

Last year I felt like a sharpie in the making... now I feel like a friggin Googan chasing my tail from spot to spot to spot.

Hope you guys have better luck

34 mins ago, GarbageFish said:

Local bridge inlet.... not a tap before dawn

Local bridge inlet, fog after sunrise, a few small bass and blue. Go home see fish breaking surface on sound. Get kayak. 2.5 hrs of trolling, casting everything I had and only few followers on deadly dick. Ton of fish around and I got skunked!  Looked like on spearing from what birds were getting. Few bunker and some big fish on fish finder

4 hours ago, baldadonis2002 said:

Sounds like we are all fishing the same area!!! ( LOL ).

Hit the inlet location by 5am - just about bottom of the tide,  fog thick as pea soup.

Few gents pulled in scattered blues and sea robins the first 10 mins I was there and then we hit dead  low slack and the bite died just as I set up.

Soaked a clam rod and tossed lures, every 15 mins or so my clam rod would take a hit, I would run over to set the hook and nobody home  ( I rubber band my bait so small critters aint getting it ).

This went on 4-5 times, if I held the rod in my hands 'nobody home' , put the rod down and start casting my other rod tap tap tap.  G_d damn hidden camera show if you ask me.

Took a few casts out in front, nothing but surfers...found yummy structure but not even a tap.

5 hours and headed home with a HEAVY HEAVY skunk smell on me.

I know you guys would love to lay a good ribbing on me, but I kid you not I am seriously feeling dejected.

Last year I felt like a sharpie in the making... now I feel like a friggin Googan chasing my tail from spot to spot to spot.

Hope you guys have better luck

Same feeling here. Tried all times in a day, dawn, dusk, mid-noon, early night, midnight. Only time changes, but the result stays the same.

I probably shouldn't say this, but I keep catching bass when I don't want them.

Go out jigging for fluke, I catch bass.  

Yesterday I saw a gull trying to eat a big blowfish that had puffed up with air and kept trying to get away from the bird, but could only do the backstroke on top becouse it couldn't deflate without getting eaten, so today I went back to the same place looking for blowfish--and wasn't fishing 10 minutes before the bass showed up.

No quality--3 to 5 pound rats-but it's funny that I keep catching them while looking for other things.

Inside on the South Shore.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

11 mins ago, baldadonis2002 said:

I'll have to wait until December for Herring Fishing ... you were my good luck charm that day

Lol, that's too long to wait. My last year's fall season was one of the best for bass. So, at least I hope for good fall season this year as well.