CLFish5

April 2020 Skunk Only Report Thread - LI / NYC Edition

Rate this topic

519 posts in this topic

Fished 9-2:30 last night, 1 fish. Saw a lot of bunker on the tail end of the flood tide,  they all but disappeared on the ebb.  Flat glass, foggy, light breeze, seemed like it would be fishy, but no joy. 

First bluefish of the year on a bunker chunk fishing the noon rain. It was a small blue could not have been more than 4 lbs. The stripers were in the mid 20 inches.

Has anyone been to the south shore beaches recently? I heard things were a mess a few days ago; wanted to chunk the ocean but considering a new plan now.

37 mins ago, GarbageFish said:

if you’re wearing a Wuhan mask to fish eastern Long Island... you’re in the wrong Fn neighborhood. 

Believe it or not the park rangers and dec both were breaking people balls they had no masks .. and vigorously checking registry and catches .. I welcome it . And if I gotta throw a buff on to fish no big deal . Day time I’m normally covered up anyways .. skin cancers worse then mr chin flu 

Finally got my everlasting skunk off.

Seems like all the good action is during the dark, I just got lucky after sunrise.

Schoolies are super fat at least where I was fishing, and had a monster blue cut me off like 5 secs into the “fight”.

Still fun!

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, gimbap1707 said:

Has anyone been to the south shore beaches recently? I heard things were a mess a few days ago; wanted to chunk the ocean but considering a new plan now.

Actions been really hot and Ive been crushing for the first time in a month or so but I am taking the weekend off. I hate the crowds and all the bait chucking bucket brigades everywhere. Keeping the wife and kids happy this weekend and hitting the salt hard again come monday night

Edited by CLFish5

Same here... I avoided any body of water this weekend, even avoiding tonight for any "hang backs"

Night time has NOT been the right time for me for some reason.

Sunrise has treated me best...but the bite seems to come and go in 20-30 mins, which happens when you fish inlets I suppose...moving fish.

Well end of an era .. after 5 straight days of beat down morning and night I got the skunk .. knew it was gonna be a tough night cause the tide wouldn’t be right but went anyways , not a sniff . Meh 

2 weeks of blue beat down.. today I couldn’t buy a bite. Hopefully someone found the Gibbs popper I dropped In the water at shin.

The last few weeks I've tried either North Shore, South Shore, or GSB, everyday from 6-8 or so.  Nothing but seaweed.  I hear and see everyone talking about blues and bass, but I haven't even seen anyone catching.  Even with a dozen guys lined up next to each other, nobody catching.  Do I need to get up earlier?  Should I be trying at night?  Do I need to switch to bait?  Should I just go back to sleep and forget about the fish?