Mass turkey season 2020...

Rate this topic

it's almost that time of the year again ladies and gents, although conditions this year are anything but normal...

I really enjoyed the inch and half of snow we got in Taunton yesterday...pretty sure it's the latest snow i've ever seen stick to the ground in eastern mass...awesome...

i've been out scouting a half dozen times in E Mass over the past two weeks, until today i hadn't seen dick worth noting...finally ran into two toms strutting a pole line 250 yards from each other...I never made a call, one tom looked like a lonely 2 year old bird with a mediocre beard...perfect for my son Ethan's youth hunt next Saturday...

checked out another spot not far away, got a pair of longbeards to gobble from the backyard of the only freakin house that abuts the public woods...of course...

I’ll be out until I have had enough or tag out. Do not have much else going on since I am not working at the moment. I generally don’t scout turkey much I just go until I find them. They aren’t very consistent where I find them each year so I just go out looking when it’s time to hunt.

The Best Day to go fishing is any day that ends in Y

33 mins ago, jmarino1432 said:

I think it’s going to be a very crowded opening day. Found some good sign here and there but in high human traffic areas. Should be interesting 

more like a zoo, the entire opening week... most everyone is home and able to go out... I'm working from home and I'll be out every morning I can for an hour or two anyway... 

6 mins ago, jettyjockey18 said:

more like a zoo, the entire opening week... most everyone is home and able to go out... I'm working from home and I'll be out every morning I can for an hour or two anyway... 

There will definitely be more people in the woods all around not just hunters. Nature walkers have been out in full force.

The Best Day to go fishing is any day that ends in Y

5 hours ago, CcCstriper89 said:

There will definitely be more people in the woods all around not just hunters. Nature walkers have been out in full force.

^^this... yes there will probably be more than normal numbers of turkey hunters, but a bunch of spots i hunt have been inundated with hikers etc. Let's all make sure we clearly identify our target AND WHAT'S BEYOND! 

also, check your bird online. there will be no checkstations available. if necessary you can call an office and get it checked over the phone but do it online on your cell phone or computer. only takes a minute. help out a friend do it online if they need it too! thx

8 mins ago, bob_G said:

I'm still not sure if I'll go this year?  This c19 deal has really taken the wind out of my sails.  If I do go, it will only be one or two days just so I can say I've never missed a season.

I think opening day is going to be bonkers this year, more crazy than any typical year. I haven't missed an opening day since I moved here 15+ years ago. I may only get to hunt for a couple hours but am committed to doing it as always. 

Edited by ChocoLab

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

I'm still not sure if I'll go this year?  This c19 deal has really taken the wind out of my sails.  If I do go, it will only be one or two days just so I can say I've never missed a season.

Go  if you can.

I know from experience that if you don't..... it's a lot easier to not go the next year etc.

Before you know it other interests take more and more time, then you'll be saying....maybe next year.

I don't miss the long cold hours in a tree stand bow hunting that much,  but I do miss Turkey hunting.

12 hours ago, bob_G said:

for me, walking the pole line sunday morning and seeing a couple of strutting toms and hearing some gobbles was the closest to normal i've felt in over a month...i'm looking forward to this year's turkey season more so than usual ...

11 hours ago, Plug and teaser said:

Go  if you can.

I know from experience that if you don't..... it's a lot easier to not go the next year etc.

Before you know it other interests take more and more time, then you'll be saying....maybe next year.

I don't miss the long cold hours in a tree stand bow hunting that much,  but I do miss Turkey hunting.

PT, i'm hoping for a couple of Berkshires runs this turkey season...I didn't make it out there at all last year...curious to see how the moose population is doing in Sandisfield, my last time at Beechplain road I think there was more moose tracks than deer...