Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eelbasher

Dust collector.....?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Thinking about picking one up but not sure what to get. I have been using my shop vac but since I moved I haven’t even hooked that up. Dust is all over my garage and I’d like to be a little safer when I’m out there. 

What are you guys using? Looked at the HF 2hp one, is it worth it? I don’t want to break the bank but I don’t want to waste my money either. Any info would be great. Thanks!

8 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

Following along here .. interested as well ..  

fwiw I think the shop vac better then nothing .. it does a decent job on the fine dust which is the main issue 

100% better than nothing! I also want something that I can hook up to multiple tools and not have to move the shop vac hose each time. I’d like to have something piped up and set

I've been happy with my Grizzly 2hp collector which looks  the same as the HF. Been running my entire shop, seven tools,  for 10 years + with no troubles. Keep in mind, with the stock bags, you will still get that fine ' talcum' dust covering everything, unless you get the 2.5 micron bags , but the heavier stuff and shavings are handled no problem.

I have a wall mounted exhaust fan next to my lathe, the kind with louvers on the outside. It sucks dust straight outside. Chilly in winter but quiet, (3 speeds,) durable, inexpensive to run and works very well. US made but I don’t remember the manufacturer.

I've got a Jet canister 1.5hp dust collector. I've had it for years and have zero complaints with it. The canister does a nice job of capturing the fine dust unlike the bag versions that I've been around.

View a Larger Image of Vortex Cone Dust Collector, 1.5HP 1PH 115/230V, 2-Micron Canister Kit, Model DC-1100VX-CK 

On 4/28/2020 at 10:14 PM, extreme fisherman said:

Make sure you have that collector grounded ..

Yea for sure .. I used to do a lot of work in a book bindery .. they had huge dust collection that dumped into these big clothe bags .. man when ya brushed up against them the shock was crazy . We were getting arcs like 6” long of the thing 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Anyone have any experience with a portable dust collector like the Rikon wall mount model, or the Wen?  Wen is like $100 and Rikon is $245... Both advertise 660 CFM, Rikon comes with 2 micron bag.  Hmmm

Edited by Bluetaildragger

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a Woodtek wall mount. They’re ok as long as you don’t expect too much. It does a good job with one machine at a time and a reasonable length hose. The most recent Fine Working “Tools and Shops” issue has test report on all the available wall mounted dust collectors. They also have a video of the tests. Just google “wall mounted dust collectors” and scroll down to the Fine Woodworking website.

Edited by Kent I
Typo and added info