Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Popasilov

Shamokin anybody?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

On 4/22/2020 at 6:48 PM, Popasilov said:

Thank you Captain

If I was going that far I'd go a bit more and go to the west side of the river.  Northumberland, Sunbury and on into the coal area is not a great place to live.

Or go north of 80.

Union, Snyder, Clinton, Centre. 

SE Northumberland, Northern Columbia, Sullivan or Lycoming counties good choices.  Just stay away from Williamsport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Steve_in_PA said:

.  Northumberland, Sunbury and on into the coal area is not a great place to live.

You got me going here

Why would you think so?

I am not doubting, I am just curios.

Looks like, affordable housing, low crime and stuff like that.

It doesn't look so many jobs around but I do not care about that.

We (my wife and me) would like just relaxing, peaceful living.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Steve_in_PA said:

, Clinton, Centre,   Sullivan or Lycoming counties good choices. 

Those may be nice, but problem with that is driving.

I do not want to spent on the road 5+ hours going each direction.

Honestly

If I have to spend more than 4 hours driving in each direction, I would go south Maryland.

We are looking just to get out of Long Island, NY for day or two at the time and relax brain of all this non-sense here.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Popasilov said:

You got me going here

Why would you think so?

I am not doubting, I am just curios.

Looks like, affordable housing, low crime and stuff like that.

It doesn't look so many jobs around but I do not care about that.

We (my wife and me) would like just relaxing, peaceful living.

 

 

Crime isn't low.  Especially compared to other areas 20 miles away.

If you are considering Shamokin you could easily turn north off 80 well before you turn south to Shamokin and be in great country.  Low crime, low taxes, and great outdoor locations.  Clean streams.  Good hunting and lots of state land to play on.

Or look just west of Conyngham.  Just off 80 to the south.  Not as far as Shamokin and better area.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally, I had a chance to visit Shamokin and surrounding area

I drove there last week.

Never in my live I have seen more depressed people than in Shamokin for 45 minutes that I spend driving through the city.

And the smell is terrible, also. My 7 years old said, "Mom, Dad, those street stinks" when she get out of the car for few minutes

So many run down and ruined homes. People just do not take pride in owning their homes.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2020 at 11:22 AM, Steve_in_PA said:

If you are considering Shamokin you could easily turn north off 80 well before you turn south to Shamokin

Catawissa is a very nice place

We liked area around, especially my daughter loved Red Deer farm

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2020 at 11:22 AM, Steve_in_PA said:

Or look just west of Conyngham.  Just off 80 to the south.

Thanks

We briefly drove around and everything is looks so nice

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 mins ago, Popasilov said:

Finally, I had a chance to visit Shamokin and surrounding area

I drove there last week.

Never in my live I have seen more depressed people than in Shamokin for 45 minutes that I spend driving through the city.

And the smell is terrible, also. My 7 years old said, "Mom, Dad, those street stinks" when she get out of the car for few minutes

So many run down and ruined homes. People just do not take pride in owning their homes.

 

 

 

 

Lots of towns around here are very depressed.  It is sad but the jobs left and so did eveyone who could as well.  

 

The upside is that real estate is inexpensive and these areas will come back again just not tommorrow 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

and these areas will come back again just not tommorrow 

This is THE funny part

I do not care that much if RE come back as long as I find something that we like.

I am not looking to make money on this; just something that will be nice to have to escape NY.

How can you go wrong with 20K relaxing home?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2020 at 11:30 AM, Popasilov said:

Finally, I had a chance to visit Shamokin and surrounding area

I drove there last week.

Never in my live I have seen more depressed people than in Shamokin for 45 minutes that I spend driving through the city.

And the smell is terrible, also. My 7 years old said, "Mom, Dad, those street stinks" when she get out of the car for few minutes

So many run down and ruined homes. People just do not take pride in owning their homes.

 

 

 

 

Guess I shouldn't have been concerned about making it sound bad..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ByronPA said:

Guess I shouldn't have been concerned about making it sound bad..

Oh, not at all.

You made it sound better than it is.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.