Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Popasilov

Shamokin anybody?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Hey guys

Anybody from Shamokin or Coal Township or area around?

Thinking of buying vocation home in that area just to get out of New York for few days or few weeks at the time for now and maybe, for longer time in few years.

On 4/18/2020 at 10:15 PM, Popasilov said:

Hey guys

Anybody from Shamokin or Coal Township or area around?

Thinking of buying vocation home in that area just to get out of New York for few days or few weeks at the time for now and maybe, for longer time in few years.

Not from there (I live about an hour south), but I used to take my Jeep there quite a bit...a lot of off-road trails there if you purchase the RAC Pass (Reading Anthracite Coal, gives you access to a lot of their land).  There's also AOAA (Anthracite Offroad), which is an off-road park.  So if you're into Jeeps, 4 wheelers, etc., there's a lot of stuff do do there.  I haven't done any fishing there, so I can't comment on that.

I fish schuylkill co. alot. The large towns are strange. I've seriously looked into buying property in the mountains outside a hamlet. Real estate is cheap compared to surrounding countries. When I was looking I found a bunch of really cool secluded property's. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just realized that shamokin is in Northumberland co. and not schuylkill, my bad. That part of the susquehanna is good walleye fishing.

Edited by Haycreekrambler

Thank you guys

Shamokin area have affordable RE, considering prices and RE taxes. We are looking up to 30K;  fixer-upper would be perfect..

We start thinking about small house in PA last year. We spend lots of time in Poconos but last year prices went way up in that neighborhood, so we start exploring surrounding area farther and farther.

We went to Tamaqua, I liked area around Lehington;. I don't want to travel more than 3 1/2 to 4 max.  so Shamokin is farthest we may go

Was planing trip there in beginning of March  but, lol, you all know the story.

Hopefully, we may be able to start traveling soon so I can go there and do some more scouting.

Smokin in Shamokin, drinking skook juice with the skooks... Yea, interesting area. Backwoods a bit. Lota ol coal towns. Poverty issues. Good people. More drugs than you'd think. 

Not sure what you're looking for. W a bit will get you closer to good bass/walleye/catfish on the river. SW - S  will get you closer to good trout waters. 

6 hours ago, ByronPA said:

Smokin in Shamokin, drinking skook juice with the skooks... Yea, interesting area. Backwoods a bit. Lota ol coal towns. Poverty issues. Good people. More drugs than you'd think. 

Not sure what you're looking for. W a bit will get you closer to good bass/walleye/catfish on the river. SW - S  will get you closer to good trout waters. 

That's not what I am looking for, lol.

No smoke, no drink.

Just something to come, relax, and enjoy for few days, or longer, at the time.

Wife, me and 7 year old.

Something to call home away from home.

Looking for family oriented area.

On the papers, Shamokin doesn't look bad at all.

Fishing is not that much important as family value and safety for kids.

Looking for something that kid can go out, ride a bike or a scooter safely, without me and wife watching like a hawk over and around.

9 hours ago, Popasilov said:

That's not what I am looking for, lol.

No smoke, no drink.

Just something to come, relax, and enjoy for few days, or longer, at the time.

Wife, me and 7 year old.

Something to call home away from home.

Looking for family oriented area.

On the papers, Shamokin doesn't look bad at all.

Forty years ago there was a local radio dj who would always say .. shhhhhmokkkking in shamokin ..  and the saying just sort of stuck..You'll find that most pronounce it with the "a" silent..

Skook is a term for the locals, anyone from that area. Short for Schuylkill, county, even though schmokin is in Northumberland..

Skook juice is slang for guers ice tea, non alcoholic, that is made locally. good stuff. 

It's not as bad as I made it out to be, and you should go check it out and see for yourself.

Thanks Byron.

As soon as this madness is over, well, it will not be over for a while, but as soon as we can travel again, I will take a trip there.

Must be nice out there now, at this time of the year.

Spring.

Posted (edited) · Report post

23 hours ago, ByronPA said:

Forty years ago there was a local radio dj who would always say .. shhhhhmokkkking in shamokin ..  and the saying just sort of stuck..You'll find that most pronounce it with the "a" silent..

Skook is a term for the locals, anyone from that area. Short for Schuylkill, county, even though schmokin is in Northumberland..

Skook juice is slang for guers ice tea, non alcoholic, that is made locally. good stuff. 

It's not as bad as I made it out to be, and you should go check it out and see for yourself.

Ya got skooks in the skook,  crackers (Coal crackers) in Carbon and hoofties anywhere south of that (which includes and is usually directed to Lehighton).

Northumberland is outside so NOT a skook or cracker.

Guers is a staple in skook but Zimmerman in the tea of choice for many crackers.

Lots of good fishing in the area.  Good people as well 

Edited by Captain Ahab