Mick Murphy

Best light saltwater spinning reels

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Mick Murphy said:

Ok lads I am in the market for two new saltwater spinning reels around the 4000 size so I have narrowed it down to three but by all means feel free to add ones you recommend and have used, so the penn slammer 3500, tsunami 4000 saltx and the van staal vr 50, I have looked on YouTube at all of these reels and on here so my take on it is the penn is very heavy ,strong and well priced, the tsunami has been out for a while now and I have seen good and bad reviews, as with the van staal, I don’t mind parting with the cash but I want to know I have spent it wisely. These reels will be on custom Harrisons VHF 10 foot 30/75g cw and a 60/120g fishing for dorado on shore in the windy Canary Islands so lads let us know your thoughts and maybe scoobydoo might let us know his thoughts as he knows a lot about this subject, cheers.

For a 4000 size, VR50 is your best choice.  It's probably the lightest.  Penn slammer 4500 is a tank.  Heaviest of those choices but it's solid with fantastic line lay.  I think these reels are a tad small for a 10' rod.  Better off going one size up.

9 hours ago, CrappieAttitude said:

I would suggest the Saragosa 5000 - nice and light and smooth

In what world is 16 ounces a nice and light reel?! The Spinfisher VI 4500 at around 12 ounces is cheaper, lighter and has similar  sealing—and $100 cheaper. I’m no Penn fan, though: personally I’d go for a Ballistic LT 6000 at 12 ounces, especially for a 10’ rod the OP cited. Huge line capacity and a pretty darn smooth egg beater, though it’s magseal probably wont stand up to splashing as well as the Penns or Gosa. Just picked one up for my 9’ ODM Next1 and it’s a nice light setup. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

An often overlooked reel series is the Daiwa 1600 and 2600 SS Tournament Whiskar reels, the origional longcast reels and one of the best drag systems out there for reels those sizes.

I caught literally a few thousand fish on my 1600 before it had to go in for more service then just an annual cleaning and greasing. It was one of my go to schoolie surf reels for over a decade. No idea how many have been caught on my 2600, a lot, and it's never been back to the shop. I got it from T Lapinski probably 15 years ago, and who knows how many fish he caught with it before I got it.

Edit - the 1600 was on an 8 1/2' rod, the 2600 a 9' rod

Edited by Sudsy

1 hour ago, Evil-Bay said:

I think these reels are a tad small for a 10' rod.  Better off going one size up.

Why would you think that?

Just curious.

Well, the spool is smaller on these reels.  So a 10' rod typically can cast further then a rods shorter which pulls more line.   It's just my own insight and preference.  If you don't feel the same, no biggie.

49 mins ago, Popasilov said:

Why would you think that?

Just curious.

I'd say Mick Murphy wants a larger reel, too. He said he thought the Saragosa 6000 wouldn't be sufficient for the fishing he has in mind. I think he's got the idea that the reels he listed are somehow tougher or more capable than the Gosa. 

He wants to cast 2 oz minimum. One of his 10 ft rods is rated a little over 2 to 4 oz. 

2 hours ago, MontclairDave said:

In what world is 16 ounces a nice and light reel?! The Spinfisher VI 4500 at around 12 ounces is cheaper, lighter and has similar  sealing—and $100 cheaper. I’m no Penn fan, though: personally I’d go for a Ballistic LT 6000 at 12 ounces, especially for a 10’ rod the OP cited. Huge line capacity and a pretty darn smooth egg beater, though it’s magseal probably wont stand up to splashing as well as the Penns or Gosa. Just picked one up for my 9’ ODM Next1 and it’s a nice light setup. 

Also has **** AR, cheap gears, and definitely not a Gosa after sharing the same use and abuse.

^Yep, Ballistic LT 6000 is a good suggestion. (I'm not sure it'd be more heavy duty than the Saragosa he has, but perhaps he wants to try another reel.) 

50 mins ago, Steg said:

I'd say Mick Murphy wants a larger reel, too. He said he thought the Saragosa 6000 wouldn't be sufficient for the fishing he has in mind. I think he's got the idea that the reels he listed are somehow tougher or more capable than the Gosa. 

He wants to cast 2 oz minimum. One of his 10 ft rods is rated a little over 2 to 4 oz. 

My bad

To me, sounded like you were talking about 10' rod in general.

Like, those reels are to small for 10' rod.

2 hours ago, Sudsy said:

An often overlooked reel series is the Daiwa 1600 and 2600 SS Tournament Whiskar reels, the origional longcast reels and one of the best drag systems out there for reels those sizes.

I caught literally a few thousand fish on my 1600 before it had to go in for more service then just an annual cleaning and greasing. It was one of my go to schoolie surf reels for over a decade. No idea how many have been caught on my 2600, a lot, and it's never been back to the shop. I got it from T Lapinski probably 15 years ago, and who knows how many fish he caught with it before I got it.

Edit - the 1600 was on an 8 1/2' rod, the 2600 a 9' rod

100% agree on the SS 2600. That was my first surf casting reel, bought about 20+ years ago for my 10’ Ron Arra 1204, a perfect match, light as hell for its time at 12 ounces. Indestructible, incredible drag, caught a ton of fish. I always used mono on it; I wonder how it would handle braid? Making me think of picking one up as a backup. (Sold my first one a few years back...)