Mick Murphy

Best light saltwater spinning reels

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

Ok lads I am in the market for two new saltwater spinning reels around the 4000 size so I have narrowed it down to three but by all means feel free to add ones you recommend and have used, so the penn slammer 3500, tsunami 4000 saltx and the van staal vr 50, I have looked on YouTube at all of these reels and on here so my take on it is the penn is very heavy ,strong and well priced, the tsunami has been out for a while now and I have seen good and bad reviews, as with the van staal, I don’t mind parting with the cash but I want to know I have spent it wisely. These reels will be on custom Harrisons VHF 10 foot 30/75g cw and a 60/120g fishing for dorado on shore in the windy Canary Islands so lads let us know your thoughts and maybe scoobydoo might let us know his thoughts as he knows a lot about this subject, cheers.

My slammer 4500 weighs less than my salt x 4000 by a fraction of an ounce, so actually the salt x would be the heaviest reel you listed especially if your looking at the 3500 slammer, which i believe is only a smidge lighter than the 4500. 

Maybe something like a Stella 5000 or 6000 might be better, considering the rod length and lure rating.

for over $200 less than the van staal, I don't think you can go wrong with the slammer.  save your money!

1 hour ago, CrappieAttitude said:

I would suggest the Saragosa 5000 - nice and light and smooth

Second this.  VS is great but if you are not wading.......

I’ll have to look at the carbo 50 haven’t seen those before, I know these rods sound a bit heavy but it is so windy where I’ll be fishing you won’t get a small lure/ jig out, 60g would be minimum I have two Shimano Saragosa 6000 wanted the 5000 but they didn’t have any and done me a such a great deal on the two but I think the drag on them is a bit to light if I hook up a large dorado they have been caught where I fish up to 35 lbs, I know Shimanos run silky smooth but it doesn’t take a lot to knock them out of sink so I’ll thats why I’ll keep those for my 15/45 and 30/60g  rods, I just find the advertising on stuff such bs, they will promise you the moon and stars but in reality most of the stuff is Chinese middle of the road gear at inflated prices so that’s why I have joined here as I live in the UK all you USA lads have the waters and fish to really push these reels to the limit, so thanks to all and keep it coming cheers.

7 hours ago, Mick Murphy said:

I have two Shimano Saragosa 6000 wanted the 5000 but they didn’t have any and done me a such a great deal on the two but I think the drag on them is a bit to light if I hook up a large dorado they have been caught where I fish up to 35 lbs, I know Shimanos run silky smooth but it doesn’t take a lot to knock them out of sink so I’ll thats why I’ll keep those for my 15/45 and 30/60g  rods, 

I think a Saragosa 6000 is about right for what you want. It'll handle 35 pound fish. It'd be a better reel than a small Slammer 3500 for casting lures over 2 oz from the shore.