Another WiFi geek question

Rate this topic

chessie_yaker

29 mins ago, drmevo said:

Yup, that's exactly what the Cisco/Linksys WUMC710 I mentioned does, and it's AC. 

We had that setup between the roofs of two buildings at a car dealership years ago. Every so often the signal would go down and no one could figure out why. Eventually someone realized it happened every time new cars were delivered. The car carrier was so tall it was blocking the signal and taking down the network in one building. 

What you are looking for is called Client Bridge by some manufacturers, for example EnGenius. That Linksys unit I mentioned is designed for that as well. Here's the text from EnGenius:

"3.3 Client Bridge Mode In the Client Bridge Mode, the ENH202 functions like a wireless client, connecting to an Access Point wirelessly and enabling Internet connectivity wherever you want. Use Site Survey function to scan all of the Access Points within range and configure the SSID and Security Password to associate with it. With Client Bridge Mode, the ENH202 works as long range 2.4GHz wireless-Ethernet Bridge in order to provide a 2.4GHz link between the access point and networked clients."

Awesome thank you. See... I knew the fishing forum was the spot to get tech answers :howdy:

It looks like the Netgear WAC546-100NAS is the closest thing to the one you mentioned that I can procure for Monday. Even has a 4p switch on the thing. If it had PoE that would be boss, but I’ll settle for having to use an injector. 

Thanks for your input guys 

3 hours ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Did you try ddwrt?  

I've been running a Linksys 54G flashed w/ ddwrt as a bridge for about 7 or 8 years. Use it to stream content through my satellite receiver. DISH's version of "On Demand". 

Would've been a pain to run a wire and my receiver didn't support wifi at the time (new ones do).  

I'll have mine on the rocks.