chessie_yaker

Another WiFi geek question

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Working on a protect at the hospital and I need to create a hardwired network on some mobile carts. I need to make that network connect to one of the secure WiFi networks to transmit data to a server. Max bandwidth is about 25mb/s, but it needs to be stable and reliable. I’m thinking about getting a WAP and setting it to client mode as my wireless “NIC” to the network. Is there anything I need to make sure the WAP has spec wise or is there another device better suited for this application? 

49 mins ago, chessie_yaker said:

Working on a protect at the hospital and I need to create a hardwired network on some mobile carts. I need to make that network connect to one of the secure WiFi networks to transmit data to a server. Max bandwidth is about 25mb/s, but it needs to be stable and reliable. I’m thinking about getting a WAP and setting it to client mode as my wireless “NIC” to the network. Is there anything I need to make sure the WAP has spec wise or is there another device better suited for this application? 

Is this wireless secure network available throughout the area where the cart is going to be? Reliability is all going to depend on the coverage of the WiFi network.  No need for the AP, just need the wireless adapter which I am assuming is on a computer to connect to the network. Unless I am missing something this is pretty straight forward. 

1 hour ago, 21parker said:

Is this wireless secure network available throughout the area where the cart is going to be? Reliability is all going to depend on the coverage of the WiFi network.  No need for the AP, just need the wireless adapter which I am assuming is on a computer to connect to the network. Unless I am missing something this is pretty straight forward. 

The network is clean and available everywhere. There are dedicated devices powered PoE on a small managed switch and I need to get that isolated network of things onto the wireless somehow. I figured AP in client mode would do the trick, just not sure if anyone has a better solution or what I should be looking on the white papers for to be sure it can go into client mode 

Bridge seems to only be p2p, so I’m looking at some APs that’ll do client mode. About to get Apu on the phone to verify a couple models so we can get this stuff on order for proof of concept 

No one seems to be making dedicated wireless bridges anymore. The Linksys WUMC710 is the last one I know of, but that's more of a consumer device. I've used it for some state inspection PC's at auto repair shops where you can't add any wireless hardware to the machine the state sends out. I'm sure there are better devices out there, but it would work just for proof of concept.