Gilbey

Workout Room Flooring

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

My first son is stable on his own living out of state. We cleaned out his room, boxed up what few remaining items he had, and I plan to patch a couple dings in the drywall and paint this weekend. We are going to convert the room into a workout room. Does anyone have any thoughts on flooring for a workout room? The carpet that's in place now is going to be ripped out. It's been used hard. I'm not sure if I want laminate or carpet or maybe even rubberized. What do you think? 

Alan

1 hour ago, Mattys010 said:

I bought mats that interlock like a jigsaw puzzle at Dicks. They are great. They are about 3/4” thick so doors may have to be trimmed.

This^^^^^^^^

18 mins ago, OGCaster said:

Tractor supply co, horse stall mats.  Very heavy/durable.  Stink of rubber for a bit but work really well.

This. Plus you will get in shape moving and working with them.

I recently finished a room in my sister's basement for a home gym. Used the interlocking rubber floor. Dont remember the brand name. It came from a floor store. Seems to be a way better product than, what's sold at HD and Lowe's 

The thick heavy duty rubber ones are much better than the foam.

If this room is on the second floor, even with the best mats, don't drop the weights.  When I worked in a rec department, all weights were on the slab floor and bikes and machines on the higher floors.

I’ve done a few commercial gym floors in rubber. I think the brand was “Tarkett” it was easy to do. Cuts with a razor and straight edge 

15 mins ago, triumph said:

I’ve done a few commercial gym floors in rubber. I think the brand was “Tarkett” it was easy to do. Cuts with a razor and straight edge 

That's the stuff that I put down on a job. Basement gym. Thanks, I couldn't for the life of me remember the name.

Easy to install, and looks nice when finished. I dunno how it works as far as working out. I workout for a living everyday..... At least I used to.

Edited by Ben Lippen

22 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

That's the stuff that I put down on a job. Basement gym. Thanks, I couldn't for the life of me remember the name.

Easy to install, and looks nice when finished. I dunno how it works as far as working out. I workout for a living everyday..... At least I used to.

“At least I used to” to funny. 

14 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

meant that way, but more to provoke thought.

Framing in my younger days kept me in shape. But at 45yrs old I sure don’t miss humping 28ft Doug fir rafters into place. Especially in the winter when then we’re frozen solid and twice as heavy. 

I built a gym in the basement.  Put down cork flooring and a 8mm rubber mat on top of it.  It's quiet, stays warm and has a nice give to it.  

This is the product I usedIMG_4451.jpg.d20d97ac3e015116472a4e4494638944.jpgfound the pic on my phone. Seemed like a decent product. Undercut jambs and set baseboard on top. My one thought is thru time will the puzzle seams start to gap?