Jdiesel

Need help deciding with a Lami

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I just recently picked up a Lamiglas XS 9 MHS | 9' 1-4 oz. Surf & Jetty. I have been thinking of paring it with either a Penn Spinfisher VI (4500), Shimano Baitrunner 4000 D or Daiwa Saltist 4k - 4500. Probably throwing on 20-30lb PP braid on it. Dual purpose plug thrower and light bait soaker.

Any other reel additions...

Thoughts gentleman?

Edited by Jdiesel

I would probably poke around and try to get both but used that’s just me, the baitrunner is good for a spinning bait reel and the 4500 could be a good plug reel but I wouldn’t want either for both purposes. I’m assuming you’re talking about the 4500 manual pick up 

14 hours ago, Jdiesel said:

I just recently picked up a Lamiglas XS 9 MHS | 9' 1-4 oz. Surf & Jetty. I have been thinking of paring it with either a Penn Spinfisher VI (4500), Shimano Baitrunner 4000 D or Daiwa Saltist 4k - 4500. Probably throwing on 20-30lb PP braid on it. Dual purpose plug thrower and light bait soaker.

Any other reel additions...

Thoughts gentleman?

I am a big fan of the shimano BR for soaking bait however as a dual purpose reel I don’t care for it. Main reason is if you are plugging most guys will at some point get it wet enough to need a good cleaning. While they are serviceable, they are tougher to take apart and clean imo and afford you nothing over say a Penn battle 2 ( a simple reel to service should it get wet) for the purpose of chucking lures. Now.... if your plugging is such that you pretty much won’t be dunking it or standing knee deep in the surf, then I see nothing wrong with using it as a dual purpose reel. They are pretty tough reels. I would recommend going to the 6k size. The 4k is not the right tool for anything above back bay fishing imo. I don’t think it has the size nor the line capacity. 

Hmmm, and here I thought the 4K size would be enough for a 9 ft. Two guys now mentioned 6k range. What do you think about splitting the difference with 5-5500 or is 6k the sweet spot? Little concerned with weight and staying in the upper 100s to low 200 range for price.

I have played around with friends gear in the salt but, now I really have the itch and want to build out solid setups with a few nice “all around” rigs. From what I have read here and all over, the multi purpose rig may be more elusive but not impossible.

Please keep the knowledge and experience coming ! 

I use a Penn SSV 5500 on my 9’ stick. It balances well, has plenty of drag for larger fish and is smooth. A 6500-series reel provides more line capacity with a weight penalty. Pricing diff is negligible. 

The SSVI’s are an improvement over the SSV. 

The Saltist, BG, Saragossa, or several other reels of similar quality will be fine. 

keep in mind penn 4500 a lot larger than baitrunner 4000....id also look at the weights.  I just got ssvi 2500 and 4500 ll ...but haven't really used....same application....id go into shop and put the different reels on the rod and you'll know which is right...

I took my rod shopping around to the guys houses who had the size and weight I was looking for. A day of drinking short, I pulled the trigger on Penn Slammer III 4500. Balances out nicely.

CB9FEBE7-3F2D-4448-B40A-C63AE0D5365C.jpeg

Edited by Jdiesel
Photo

That’s a good lightweight choice, and it will handle some big fish. Just had my Slammer 3 4500 on a field with 10 and 11’ rods. Distance was good with 20# braid. Good luck with it.