DeepBlue85

Floating needlefish

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, DeepBlue85 said:

That sinuous slowly progressing wake really does wonders for finicky fish on calm nights.  

Next question would he dressed siwash vs rear treble...... for floating needles I'm almost 100% dressed siwash.

For those finicky fish on super calm nights, especially in some moving water, I still like a treble on the back. The needle is one plug they’ll really ‘sip’ off the surface....they’ll blow up right behind it a lot of times.  Have to be ready for that subtle tap that could result in a 30# fish stuck on the rear hook(s) 

Never a big needle user, but when i fish the boulder fields on the North Shore of Long Island, I've had 3 nights that I remember where an RM floater landed me a bunch of fish. The one night I couldn't reach out with a Danny which was the only other floating plug I had with me at the time. Cool thing I remember was that it's one of the only lures I can say I have had a lot of decent size fish on the rear hook. Makes unhooking in the dark a lot nicer.

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, rbart said:

For those finicky fish on super calm nights, especially in some moving water, I still like a treble on the back. The needle is one plug they’ll really ‘sip’ off the surface....they’ll blow up right behind it a lot of times.  Have to be ready for that subtle tap that could result in a 30# fish stuck on the rear hook(s) 

Very true about hitting the tail, i kept running trebles in a handful of plugs, always barbless for me though.

Edited by DeepBlue85

14 hours ago, DeepBlue85 said:

Very true about hitting the tail, i kept running trebles in a handful of plugs, always barbless for me though.

Same here, all my plugs are barbless. For me and for the fish...:

Posted (edited) · Report post

Gotta go with the floater in shallow structure for sure. I've had luck with Gibbs in both old and newer versions.

I use a dressed siwash in 6/0 or 7/0 on most but there are still 1 or 2 that have a treble and yes crushed barbs for them as well as anything in the plug bag.

1 hook in the hand way out on a rock is enough for me.

Edited by Jolly Green
spelling

Ocean Lures has a plastic version of a floating sand eel needle that uaed to be made in wood by someone else ( cannot remember who).  The things is terribly ugly, but, catches fish.

sam

Not to be discerning of any one's lure preferences, but, wouldn't a slow straight retrieve of a pencil achieve the same effect?

Or is it mainly to get that slimmer profile, for a different look?

13 hours ago, MattAtkins said:

Not to be discerning of any one's lure preferences, but, wouldn't a slow straight retrieve of a pencil achieve the same effect?

Or is it mainly to get that slimmer profile, for a different look?

You can, in fact, pretty much substitute a needle for a pencil popper, or vice versa. It's all in how you work the rod.

I mainly fish needle, hate talked time and time again on them,  and this is where a custom builder comes in to make what You want.

You must remember most needles will come up top,   I feel the best needles are medium sinkers as when you get it on top it will stay there.  

But floaters can get that micro retrieve, So I say bring 3 needles fast slow float and you have it covered.

I mostly fish needles.  I catch alot on these and have been for years.  pic is older have more up was getting low on needles :D

20200903_170702.jpg

On 4/17/2020 at 4:50 PM, DeepBlue85 said:

most the time its the front hook but at times they come up behind,  I like trebles in the back, I have a few with a french blade, that will keep the plug down in the water by the way, I haave one thats trashed :)

have a few with a wide prop blade that work allso, some with zonker on them and a few I cant post a pic of,  some things need to not be seen.

On 4/16/2020 at 8:10 PM, BroadSoundBound said:

Only used Gibbs and Salty's for floating needles. I always go dressed siwash. Strong rear hook with some bucktail and flash to match the plugs color. Not a big fan of double trebles last few years.

That is how I dress them as well. I like to almost use it with a walk the dog retrieve on calm dark nights. Leaves a great V wake. Also slithers like an eel. Casts much further than a redfin or metal lip and has a pretty big profile. I think the Gibbs has the best action for me. Next would be the RM smith floaters. I have done well with those too. The Gibbs are my go-to though.

Just returned from Cutty and there are few places better suited for floating needles. I caught on RMSmith, AH, Choopy, LIFishinVT, and SS floaters. My friend and I had the entire place to ourselves. What a treat!

I was raised on LI SS and became very fluent in sinking needles early on. It wasn't until  I started to fish Mtk did I see a need for floaters.