DeepBlue85

Floating needlefish

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

The versatility and effectiveness of the needlefish comes full circle on modern floating needles.  Harkening back to it's origin, floating needles of the boone era made no mistake in their ability to catch and although build quality left something to be desired, the fish caught justified a now storied revolution, forever changing the plug as we know it.  With all the variations in materiel, weight, shape and design, presentation options have never been easier ( or more difficult) to choose from and while the real strength in a needle is exactly that, the most simplistic and original approach in my own opinion still stands alone as the best approach when throwing long skinny wood.  Or plastic, which is what I personsly wish a plastic production companie(s) would look into, a plastic floating needle!  With that said and all the creativity put into needlefish over the decades, what are some of your favorite floating needles, when did you first fall in love with the floating needle? I carry one in my bag day or night spring to fall and it would be great to one day carry plastic needles that float....cough cough super strike cough cough... ... anyway tight lines, all hale the floating needle.

Edited by DeepBlue85

My one and only floating needle is a blurple Fixter.  

Got it here on BST quite a while ago, and even emailed Mike about it asking about its buoyancy.   I didn't know anything about floating needles.  Didn't know it was a floater when I got it.  Didn't want it up on top.  Ultimately put some bigger hardware on it to get it down a bit, but really I have no confidence and never throw it.  Maybe I'll pull it up for another try. 

Early on, I didn’t understand the purpose of a floating needlefish. One day I won a Choopy floater in a raffle. I didn’t really want it, so I took it out one night to a spot I had been slaying giant bluefish at. It was a very calm night in a shallow boulder field. I thought, “no better time to try it”. Took a big bass over 30lbs on it on the first couple of casts, and a couple of good bass within the same night. Now a floater has a permanent spot in my bag for those flat calm nights on shallow beaches. They’re not an all-purpose needlefish for me, but they certainly have their time and place. 

Yep, choppy floating needles do work well on calm nites in shallow water. Actually his needles both sinking and floating were the first wooden needles I caught fish on and developed confidence in.

Back to plastic needlefish, I'm with you Deepblue85, I've often wondered about superstrike. I guess Don and Steve dont think they will sell many. Even though green eyed needles are in demand on SOL. That goes for other styles of discontinued plastic SS and Don's wooden plugs too.

Gibbs 7 inch 1 3/4 oz works great in shallow structure.  Seek out older models which will sink but come right to the surface upon retrieving.  New Gibbs models will float out of the package.

My favorite floaters are Afterhours (black over yellow!) and RM Smith (yellow) They have a well earned spot in my bag. Biggest fish of last season for me was on the RM Smith. Straight crawling retrieve with a little twitch here and there and BAM!!!

I used a floating needlefish in place of a pencil popper in a pinch last season and caught plenty of bass on the beach. Now I use it pretty often. 

Pretty much. For all the lip service we pay to varying retrieves, the default retrieve for needles is slow and slower. Take note of Bwt570's comment, floating needles can be danced quite nicely.

That sinuous slowly progressing wake really does wonders for finicky fish on calm nights.  

Next question would he dressed siwash vs rear treble...... for floating needles I'm almost 100% dressed siwash.

Only used Gibbs and Salty's for floating needles. I always go dressed siwash. Strong rear hook with some bucktail and flash to match the plugs color. Not a big fan of double trebles last few years.

I haven’t fished floaters much but picked up a nice High Hook floater at a show this winter that I’m excited to try in a couple of spots I fish. 

Bob

26BBD9F4-61F2-48BE-B4FF-9986EBB0EC13.jpeg