CLFish5

How to rig SP Minnow/Mag Darter?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

11 mins ago, TopwaterPete said:

This is a 5/0 VMC in-line On the back of a bone SP in a 24” striper’s mouth. Never had issues with the hook size. 

CC3DA81A-2952-4338-A09B-B5E513B273CC.jpeg

I stand corrected :point:

what about the Hopkins? You think it would work on there?

Haha all good; that picture was from 2 weeks ago so it's a recent testimonial. For the Hopkins, I can't say I've put the in-line hooks on one; I'm pretty sure they're designed for plugs/minnow type lures in mind. I don't think there would be an issue using an in-line hook on a Hopkins if thats what you were looking to do.

I'd probably rather throw a regular siwash hook on the hopkins; the size of the hook would depend on the size of the Hopkins shorty. If it's a smaller Hopkins like a 3/4oz to 1oz, I would guestimate that a 4/0 should be fine. If it's the larger longer 2oz, you would probably like a 5/0 best. 

22 hours ago, CLFish5 said:

Why no inline?

Just have heard nothing positive from anyone I know. Toss one on the back maybe for the bluefish, but I can count one one hand how many times I have caught any 28" or larger bass on the back hook. Maybe not fully crush the barbs on a back treble, but give them a little squeeze so you dont end up with 5 hook points buried in a fish face that you cant get out.

I fish a spot that is pretty shallow with a rock bottom, so SP’s get caught up quite a bit. Removing the tail hook makes them swim higher, 30D44004-5FCE-4A9C-A206-1F12C6881851.jpeg.dbfa6c5f1ddfc6cd105a0d476e76ef6b.jpegI just decided to add a tail flag, it seems to give it a little more wiggle.