CLFish5

How to rig SP Minnow/Mag Darter?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

So many different opinions on this...

What’s kind of hooks do you use on your SP Minnow and Mag Darter? This would be for a back bay application. 

Edited by CLFish5

Lots of rigging options. Most of my SP's have a belly treble and single VMC 5/0 4x inline hook in the back. Some of my SP's have dressed VMC 5/0 siwash hooks in the rear instead of the inline hook. If you want to keep the trebles, I run 1/0 VMC 4x strong trebles and haven't really had issues. Pinched barbs for me. My mag darters are pretty much stock. Replaced hooks would be the same 1/0 VMC trebles mentioned before. 

Gents just keep in mind (especially with the trebles), hook size changes the action ...that is not my opinion either, run the SP through your tub back and forth and then throw 1/0 VMC 4x    and   2/0 VMC 4x andyou will see what I mean.

I like Pete's combo above with the single hook in the tail... especially add your bucktail dress in the back and you have a very different lure than stock SPs

We had too many bass swallow them when we first found them. It's no fun trying to get a treble out from inside the gullet. Heavy split ring, and a 2/0 4X VMC on the belly, leave the tail empty. The plug is so small that you won't miss many with just a belly hook.

I fish all SP's canal rigged, i like the action and there is no need for the tail hook.  Bass tend to inhale the SP when fished slow, and the tail hook does too much damage to gills or eyes.

Mag i replace the front hook with a 1/0 VMC, and i do a lightly tied siwash on the back.  Just not a fan of 2 trebles, its PIA while wading and fishing (when can't go to shore to unhook) or when bluefish are around.  Plus no need to damage the fish more then necessary. 

I agree with all re: the tail hook. For back bay application where you will really be catching smaller fish, no need for a tail hook - a flag tail would work well. Even with a siwash sometimes that back hook wiinds up in the head, stomach eye, gills etc.Def crush the barbs to get them back in the water quick.

I got the 5/0 VMC inline hooks but they seem huge...these would work on sp bombers and Mag darters? 

Also wanted to replace the trebel on my Hopkins shorty. Would these work?