Winter flounder

Rate this topic

sandbars

On the southside of the Cape, bag limit 2  = nobody fishing. As you stated, the estuaries on the southside used to produce unbelievable numbers of winter flounder, but that died off drastically in the late 90's, probably due to commercial overfishing. On the northside, it's pretty much boat fishing to find the flounder and it has been pretty good the last few years.

14 mins ago, zeke04 said:

On the southside of the Cape, bag limit 2  = nobody fishing. As you stated, the estuaries on the southside used to produce unbelievable numbers of winter flounder, but that died off drastically in the late 90's, probably due to commercial overfishing. On the northside, it's pretty much boat fishing to find the flounder and it has been pretty good the last few years.

Some years you get huge fish kills of winter flounder in the small creeks on the south side. Usually happens when you get high 90degree temps 3 days or more in a row. Several times crabbing at crab creek in Dennis you’d see thousands of dead flounder after a heat wave.

53 mins ago, sandbars said:

Anyone trying to pick a few out of the rivers yet. Use to be a good worm hatch that happened sometime in mid April usually on the cape.

There were some pretty good worm hatches going on at the full moon a week ago, but not sure about now. 

Pfantum Pfishah

You can get into them now if you know where to look. You have to pick a sunny day, time it so it coincide with an outgoing tide, and look for a muddy bottom. I have gotten them around the North Shore marshes if you poke around. You won't limit out but you'll pick out a few.

I am very into kahle hooks for winter flounder. Size 4 to 1/0 or so. They still try to cram that seaworm down their gullet, but the bend of the hook gets in the way. No issue at all with hook-ups, and no deeply hooked fish. Easy release for shorts, and quickly back to business after a keeper. The traditional flounder hook seems to be intended to bend straight if yanked out of a fish's gullet, which 50% of the time they are. I guess that's fine if everything is headed for the bucket, but those days are long gone.

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

51 mins ago, sandbars said:

Wish I could take the drive down the cape to give it a shot. But being 2 hrs away don’t want to take a chance of a break down or something happening. Heard triple a doesn’t give you a ride home with everything going on.

Wont you have a better shot at them north of the cape? Only caught one last year in quincy was a inch short. 

18 hours ago, ermghoti said:

I am very into kahle hooks for winter flounder. Size 4 to 1/0 or so. They still try to cram that seaworm down their gullet, but the bend of the hook gets in the way. No issue at all with hook-ups, and no deeply hooked fish. Easy release for shorts, and quickly back to business after a keeper. The traditional flounder hook seems to be intended to bend straight if yanked out of a fish's gullet, which 50% of the time they are. I guess that's fine if everything is headed for the bucket, but those days are long gone.

Excellent!

My favorite flounder hook is a size 2 Kahle. I did change over to a size 2 bronze, forged streamer hook (Mustad R73-9671) in the past 10 years though because the streamer hook gives a better presentation for drifting which I find myself doing more and more. (More "funner"!)

Very rarely hook them too deep with these as well. I think it is more to do with the size (size 2 as opposed to those "traditional Chesterton's" which are damn size 8!)...

Edited by jason colby