drmevo

Cart for short distance and easy terrain

8 posts in this topic

I haven't been using a cart much for the past couple of seasons since most of the launches I use have parking that's very close to the launch point. I'm going to try a couple of new spots this season that have ramps and fairly even dirt/pavement parking lots, but the actual parking is set back a bit from the ramp. A cart would make more sense for these launches so I don't have to make multiple trips or move the car back and forth.

 

I have no use for sand wheels at this point - I don't surf launch and don't plan on it. I have a scupper cart but I don't really like it for dealing with a loaded kayak. I know people make some slick carts out of PVC but I'm not really interested in that either unless it offers something a store-bought cart would not. Would a C-Tug be my best option? It would be great if it would store in the front hatch of a Revo or easily strap to the stern. 

Edited by drmevo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drmevo said:

I have a scupper cart but I don't really like it for dealing with a loaded kayak. 

What does that mean?

The 24 cm Hobie Trax is easily pushed under water and installed.  You should be walking out in 4-5 seconds.

 Same going in. Walk down ramp nose first as soon as wheels are submerged lift back up, cart falls out, done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 mins ago, Rick67 said:

What does that mean?

The 24 cm Hobie Trax is easily pushed under water and installed.  You should be walking out in 4-5 seconds.

 Same going in. Walk down ramp nose first as soon as wheels are submerged lift back up, cart falls out, done.

It's not a Hobie cart, it's one I got at West Marine. The wheels are ultra-buoyant and the upright posts are long so it's actually kind of a pain in the water. Plus, I sometimes use a livewell and that uses the scupper holes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 mins ago, drmevo said:

It's not a Hobie cart, it's one I got at West Marine. The wheels are ultra-buoyant and the upright posts are long so it's actually kind of a pain in the water. Plus, I sometimes use a livewell and that uses the scupper holes. 

The tug doesn't float but is possible to do in water also.  Not so easy if there's a chop. Does fit the revo good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 mins ago, Rick67 said:

The tug doesn't float but is possible to do in water also.  Not so easy if there's a chop. Does fit the revo good.

Thanks! Sounds like it might be the ticket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, drmevo said:

I know people make some slick carts out of PVC but I'm not really interested in that either unless it offers something a store-bought cart would not.


Make your own out of PVC.  Why?  Because it will be custom fit to your kayak cart and it will last longer than the majority of carts on the market.  This has nothing to do with saving money. This has to do with dependability.  If someone does not have the time, tools, or skills?  Than its a no buenno. You get the best of whats out there off the shelf and get the best warranty available. 

Edited by The Riddler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, The Riddler said:


Make your own out of PVC.  Why?  Because it will be custom fit to your kayak cart and it will last longer than the majority of carts on the market.  This has nothing to do with saving money. This has to do with dependability.  If someone does not have the time, tools, or skills?  Than its a no buenno. You get the best of whats out there off the shelf and get the best warranty available. 

Pretty much everything I make out of PVC gets brittle and falls apart eventually. Maybe I just suck at it? :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.