Jturnbull

Rod blank recommendations 3/4-4 light to medium power

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I’m looking for rod blank recommendation. Roughly 3/4 -4 rating. I want a lighter action for smaller early season bass. 9-10 foot. I’m leaning towards the blackhole East coast light. Anyone have any experience with this or care to share any other rod recommendations? 

or even possibly a suzuki? Never used a blackhole. I currently have a stealth 2-5 ounce. Love a more

moderate action rod. 

Edited by Jturnbull

1 hour ago, Jturnbull said:

Hi everyone! I’m looking for rod blank recommendation. Roughly 3/4 -4 rating. I want a lighter action for smaller early season bass. 9-10 foot. I’m leaning towards the blackhole East coast light. Anyone have any experience with this or care to share any other rod recommendations? 

or even possibly a suzuki? Never used a blackhole. I currently have a stealth 2-5 ounce. Love a more

moderate action rod. 

Suzuki wouldn't be the rod for tossing 4...

BH Striped bass special ¾-4 would be my suggestion.. great rod.. using it last season it quickly became my daily go2

38 mins ago, Beachglass Guru said:

Suzuki wouldn't be the rod for tossing 4...

BH Striped bass special ¾-4 would be my suggestion.. great rod.. using it last season it quickly became my daily go2

The rod is mainly for lighter stuff. Bucktails/ small early season plugs. 

2 mins ago, Jturnbull said:

The rod is mainly for lighter stuff. Bucktails/ small early season plugs. 

If your keeping it under 2oz then the 10' Suzuki special is the perfect rod for lighter early spring fishing ...

I have both rods.. my Suzuki 10 is my go2 spring rod...

The sb special is used the majority of the rest of the season.. 

Edited by Beachglass Guru

8 hours ago, Jturnbull said:

moderate action rod. 

Century S1 Stealth. 10'. Throws 1/2oz bucky on up to 4oz. Since you have the S2 the S1 is the perfect complement. 

Check out the BH Suzuki 9'6", I got the blank for $85 from Mudhole when they first came out. Sweet spot on that blank is about 3oz. in my opinion. I've landed everything from shad to large bass & gorilla blues on that rod. 

1 hour ago, prican1 said:

Check out the BH Suzuki 9'6", I got the blank for $85 from Mudhole when they first came out. Sweet spot on that blank is about 3oz. in my opinion. I've landed everything from shad to large bass & gorilla blues on that rod. 

3 oz sweet spot on the 9'6 suzuki?? Heh?

Another vote for Suzuki 9’6” I find it’s Sweet spot is 2oz

If you need to throw more than 2 and less than 4, the Century SS 1265 would be my choice. 

Edited by Skkeeter

My 9’ Evolution seems to be living up to everything that is. At least for me here in N.J. it throws the light plugs all the way up to my heavier plugs perfect. I can use it for a 4” x rap and mombo’s at the lip and sp’s to the bar effortless. I also find it works great for larger Metal lips. It cast further then any other rod that I personally used. You can feel how fast it recovers after casting. it’s just something you will have try it for your self. I don’t swim out to rocks and I wouldn’t use it for that. It’s a very fine High quality rod. You can feel every single thing you do. That’s my first hand experience. I’m not a pro and I don’t have anything to do with ODM. I just fish.

Edited by Steve_M

3 hours ago, TyroneKnots said:

I just ordered the Genesis 10'. I'll let you test it out once this Rona thing blows over.

You gotta get it first man! Your name should be mr unlucky to Tyrone knots 

ODM NEX1-935 is a 9' one piece black that is rafted for 1/2 to 3.5 oz. and has plenty of backbone.

They also have the NEX1-95 which is rated from 1-5oz. and the 105 which is a 10' also rated for 1-5oz.

I own the 935 and that is more likely the blank I'd recommend based upon what you were looing for.

Hope that helps

Bob

On 4/12/2020 at 11:53 PM, Jturnbull said:

moderate action rod. 

41 mins ago, Jolly Green said:

ODM NEX1-935 is a 9' one piece black that is rafted for 1/2 to 3.5 oz. and has plenty of backbone.

They also have the NEX1-95 which is rated from 1-5oz. and the 105 which is a 10' also rated for 1-5oz.

I own the 935 and that is more likely the blank I'd recommend based upon what you were looing for.

Hope that helps

Bob

I’ve got the ODM NEX1-935 and it casts plugs from 1.5 to 3 ounces a mile. I’m a tad disappointed in its ability to throw lighter stuff like the 1.1 ounce SP Minnow or similarly weighted swimmers but I think the fault is mine, not the rod. This blank does not like to be horsed; you need to get the distance from snapping down on the butt end and just following through with the right. Not my normal style and so I’ve had to focus on my casting technique to get the most out of the rod. But it builds up real nice if you have a good rod builder.

Edited by MontclairDave
Old eyes