Go to early season lures

Rate this topic

JPSmith29

Bucktail.  And a Redfin or Bomber in creeks with a river herring run.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

Small swimmers and smaller soft plastics, any will do.  Fly rod, I'd say clousers.  Slow and deep retrieves, and then do some testing higher in the water column.  In SW CT we will be getting fish on topwater by late April usually.

For the swimmers I like a jointed rebel minnow, yo zuri crystal minnows or mag darter.  For plastics I like Albie Snax (now called fish snax), or a small paddletail swim shad.  They all work.  Personal preference.

I always start the season of with White Queen Cocaho with 1/2 oz jig head, or a white or amber Albie Snax.  They seem to be schoolie magnets.  The White Albie Snax goes all season.

Every Sunrise A Victory

Your patriotism is not determined by the size of your flag or how vigorously you wave it in someone's face.  Any as$hole can fly a flag.

15 hours ago, jsbergen said:

I see a lot of suggestions for the Redfin. For me in early season I have much better action on the smaller 5” Redfin. 

Those are a killer bait. I'd carry both in the early spring. The 5" is a consistent fish catchers but that 7" just might attract a better fish, especially when river herring are present.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

• 3 weeks later...