jimbass

Covid 19 effects on Fishing tackle industry

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Happy Easter everyone. I just want to put some of my concerns about current events.If this disease continues without any effective treatments{I know there are more important things than fishing) Could some well known tackle companies shut down?  I want to give an example Penn. Right now their main plant is closed until at least May 1. Philadelphia city government might extend the shutdown. I hope it ends soon. Could Penn endure a long closure? I know the companies ownership has changed hands recently.This is just one example.A big chunk of the worlds fishing tackle is "made in China" and if there is a trade war could our hobby be vastly affected? I just out of boredom wanted to rant. Stay safe everyone

We gladly pay $25+ dollars for a lure, or a little 7 or 8 inch piece of plastic.......  Every block on the east coast seaboard has atleast one moderate fisherman on it.......

US would step up.......

Think of what will happen after this.....   Fear of traveling abroad germaphobes.   Much more people will be wanting to stay in quaint places closer to home and be more in charge of their sanitation.    Vacation rentals will go up, more folks will be buying something fishing......

I notice the newest scheme for cruise line is offering domestic locations more, like the mississipi river.  

Also, once companies notice they can do decent business with less travel, folks credit card miles will be less, which will have an effect on travel to........

Also, the world is begging china for ventilators, PPE, and I'm sure the basic materials to make medicines too.   As the world, we make too many things for too many people in a country with too little natural resources, or resources too expensive to obtain than other places......

I live in an area many NYC folks have been fleeing too.  I have seen so many people with new tackle and no clue how to use it.  I mean don't even know how to perform a semi-successful cast.

Edited by salt deficient

Things will change i am sure.  I feel for the small business and tackle shops even more.  They are gonna loose a big chunks (pun intended) of the season which is usually just ramping (again pun intended) up right now.

Our sport is gonna take a hard hit

I was looking everywhere for a bomber, mirrolure, and rebel in one color, and those colors are out every last online store. Same went for a gold Johnson 1 1/8 silver spoon (yes, even the gold Johnson spoon is a Silver Spoon). So, I bought some custom wood instead. Maybe this will be a good time for the guys here on the commercial bst.

51 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

Things will change i am sure.  I feel for the small business and tackle shops even more.  They are gonna loose a big chunks (pun intended) of the season which is usually just ramping (again pun intended) up right now.

Our sport is gonna take a hard hit

Our bait stores got an essential exclusion, guys are fishing everywhere and mostly respecting the guidelines.

“A big chunk of the worlds fishing tackle is "made in China"

You think? Possibly  90% that is sold in the US.

This is a good time to cut the cord.

Move production to JDM,Malasia,Viet Nam,or bring it back to USA at a higher price.

It is corporate that moved all this to China,including Apple.

Time to end it.

Edited by olvart

11 mins ago, olvart said:

“A big chunk of the worlds fishing tackle is "made in China"

You think? Possibly  90% that is sold in the US.

This is a good time to cut the cord.

JDM,Malasia,Viet Nam,or bring it back to USA at a higher price.

It is corporate that moved all this to China,including Apple.

Time to end it.

Damn right !
Lets get stuff made in USA again.

2 hours ago, salt deficient said:

I notice the newest scheme for cruise line is offering domestic locations more, like the mississipi river.  

I don't know anyone that would be remotely interested in a cruise at a domestic location especially Mississippi river 

If a shop was in trouble when this thing hit.... And their business model was 100% walk in business.... It doesn't look good. 

Any shop relying 100%on walk in was one foot in the grave already. 

I've seen more freshwater fishermen in the past 3 weeks than I have this time of year ever.  It's like opening day 4 days a week... And they opened trout season early.  Many folks taking their children for the first time and fishing for their first time since kids. 

People are buying tackle somewhere. 

Bayshore spots have been mobbed... Especially with the lights out fishing. 

I know some  retailers are doing much better yoy internet business... But the lack of walk in puts them down yoy in total... I know some that have been crushed.... And doubt they will be in business in 2021...