Yorkshire Boy

long time no post... Daiwa BG VS Penn advice please

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Hello fishing friends, I sincerely hope you, your families and friends are well in this global crisis of SARS CoV-2.

It's been a long time since I've posted here, I do occasionally pop in to have a look but fishing has taken a back seat for me over these last years.

I'm aim to buy a few travel rods, first on the list is a 7 foot 10-30 gram casting weight (the rod weighs 143 grams) and a 9 foot casting weight 20-80 gram (the rod weighs 238 grams). Both rods are 4 piece and are made by Berkley, they are the Naumad models (probably means nothing to you all as they might not be available in the USA). I can get the 7ft for £90 and the 9ft for £110, they're not super expensive but not dirt cheap either. I realise, you all use ounces so 28.35 grams = 1 ounce.

These rods will be used in fresh and salt water. Mostly from the bank/shore but also a bit of inshore boat fishing. I aim to use these rods on a wide range of species targeting the usual UK suspects... perch, chub, trout, barbel, carp, pike, wrasse, bass, pollack etc... bait fishing on the bottom and also float, obviously lure fishing as well. Just very general purpose rods.... 

In the past I've always bought Shimano reels, great reels, but I want something that's capable of taking an accidental dunking, I will not be swimming or reeling underwater. My Shimano Stradic 4000 got accidentally dunked a couple of times and it didn't like it. 

So that's the back story and intended purpose....

The Daiwa BG reels can be had from £100. The Daiwa BG Magseal from £125.

I am also looking at Penn reels, the Spinfisher VI (available from £110), Conflict 2 (from £140), Clash (from £150), Slammer III (from £155). 

I am in the process of checking all the youtube videos but I wondered if you could give me your advice please? I know what you gentlemen catch in the USA fight harder than UK species, that many of you fish very hard in tough conditions. 

Whatever I end up buying I will get 3 spare spools for each reel, 2 loaded with braid and 2 with mono. The 7ft rod would have approximately 12lb and 20lb braid, 8lb and 12lb mono. the 9ft rod 20lb and maybe up to 40lb braid, 12lb and maybe something like 18lb mono.

Out of the Daiwa and Penn reels I've mentioned which would you suggest, and what size would you suggest for the 7ft and 9ft rods?

Also, can you give me your opinions of the very large baitrunner type reels that Penn makes please? I have my eye on a 4 piece 10'6" 5lb test curve catfish rod (a Rovex, John Wilson Monster Tamer, biggest fish someone has caught that I know on it is a 200lb+ nile perch), I would like to use this for close range conger eel fishing, loaded with either 40lb mono or 80lb braid.

Anyway, thank you for anybody who takes the time to advise me, 

all the best,

John

I like penn spinfishers.  However, they are heavier reels with aluminum bodies.  Every entry point has a gasket or seal of some sort on the spinfishers.   Spinfisher 4500 is not bad for your  9 foot rod.  It'll weight around 400 grams.  Very saltwater capable too.

I am going to make an assumption that the 7ft rod will be freshwater more.   I have spinfisher V reels.  I do know they make a 2500 now.  It weighs about 300 grams, might feel that after awhile.    I use shimano sahara 2500's in freshwater and like them alot, about 225 grams.

Shimanos are great reels, but overall, you get what you pay for.  I don't know a million different reels, but likely the spinfisher is an affordable reel with every spot sealed up.

i have 2 spin v's/ they are good reels for the money. they are not sealed at the top end. my understanding is the spin vl is not sealed at the top end either. penn says it has a hydrophobic coating at the pinion bearing. this would not keep out water in heavy surf. the spool shaft is not sealed at all on the v and to the best of my knowledge is the same on the vl. this does not make them bad reels. they are excellent for the money. i fished my spin v in heavy surf for 3 years until it became a backup due to the purchase of a torque.    good luck

1 hour ago, salt deficient said:

I like penn spinfishers.  However, they are heavier reels with aluminum bodies.  Every entry point has a gasket or seal of some sort on the spinfishers.   Spinfisher 4500 is not bad for your  9 foot rod.  It'll weight around 400 grams.  Very saltwater capable too.

I am going to make an assumption that the 7ft rod will be freshwater more.   I have spinfisher V reels.  I do know they make a 2500 now.  It weighs about 300 grams, might feel that after awhile.    I use shimano sahara 2500's in freshwater and like them alot, about 225 grams.

Shimanos are great reels, but overall, you get what you pay for.  I don't know a million different reels, but likely the spinfisher is an affordable reel with every spot sealed up.

Thank you so much for your reply and advice. 

Both rods would be used in fresh and salt, in the salt the 7ft rod would be for close range bass and wrasse with smaller lures (weedless soft plastics as well as plugs, poppers, spinners and spoons, or off the boat for some light dropshotting, maybe drifting a small float and bait a long way downtide). From memory the Stradic 4000 I had weighed something like 340 grams, so something of similar weight and line capacity will be fine for the 7ft rod.

I kind of think how spoiled we are these days with the very light reels that are available, that we can't cope with the "heavier" 300+ gram 4000 size Shimano reels!  Don't get me wrong, I am a weakling (I've got some sort of nerve/muscle wasting problem and frustratingly the medical tests have been put on hold for months now because of this Wuhan virus), but the 7ft and 9ft spinning tackle I want certainly isn't  like GT popping tackle. The huge line capacity baitrunner I want, I know this will be very heavy for me with the catfish travel rod, but it will only be for a short cast into very rough snaggy ground and then to just hold the rod for a conger bite. I think I will either have to tie myself to a rock or get a mate to hold me, to make sure I'm not dragged in by a big angry eel. ha ha...

I've owned some relatively expensive (for me) fishing tackle, Japanese Shimano rods and Twinpower's etc that I got when I lived in Japan 12 years ago (amazingly good prices over there)... and I'm not bothered by that stuff anymore. #1 I don't have the money now #2 stuff gets broken, stolen etc...  I think fishing equipment are tools to be used, not to be cried over when you scratch or break them.

So that's a thumbs up so far for the Spinfisher VI. 

All the best to you,

John

41 mins ago, mark d said:

i have 2 spin v's/ they are good reels for the money. they are not sealed at the top end. my understanding is the spin vl is not sealed at the top end either. penn says it has a hydrophobic coating at the pinion bearing. this would not keep out water in heavy surf. the spool shaft is not sealed at all on the v and to the best of my knowledge is the same on the vl. this does not make them bad reels. they are excellent for the money. i fished my spin v in heavy surf for 3 years until it became a backup due to the purchase of a torque.    good luck

Thank you sir, 

I watched a youtube video today where a bloke put a Spinfisher VI in a tank of water and turned the handle and left it for an hour. He actually did the test twice before, but he said the video didn't work. So the reel was submerged for 3 hours and it was dry inside. That is obviously much more than I will be subjecting it to, just quick accidental dunkings and some spray while on the rocks or out in a boat. 

All the best to you,

John

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Boy said:

Thank you sir, 

I watched a youtube video today where a bloke put a Spinfisher VI in a tank of water and turned the handle and left it for an hour. He actually did the test twice before, but he said the video didn't work. So the reel was submerged for 3 hours and it was dry inside. That is obviously much more than I will be subjecting it to, just quick accidental dunkings and some spray while on the rocks or out in a boat. 

All the best to you,

John

Was it Tackle Advisors? If so, that’s @scoobydoo here on SOL. 

2 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

Was it Tackle Advisors? If so, that’s @scoobydoo here on SOL. 

I just checked, you are correct it was Tackle Advisors/scoobydoo

I also watched another video and a chap lost his outfit when a fish took it. He went magnet fishing 2 weeks later and found it, he cleaned it off with a cloth and he said his Spinfisher VI liveliner was working just fine. 

Those 2 videos give me a lot of confidence that my money will go a long way. 

All the best,

John

1 hour ago, 55555s said:

i'm certainly no ScoobyDoo but I sure like the Daiwa bg and penn slammer III.  

Thank you for your reply. 

May I ask is the handle knob on the Slammer III metal or plastic? I don't fancy holding a metal handle knob when winter pike fishing.

I'm sure you all know the specs on these reels but I'll write down what I found so far on the Spinfisher, Slammer, BG and BG Magsealed. 

Spinfisher VI 3500,

ratio 6.2:1

weight 12.1oz

retrieve 37"

capacity 220yds 10lb

drag 15lb

Spinfisher VI 4500

weight 12.5 oz

retrieve 40"

capacity 235yds 12lb

drag 20lb

Spinfisher VI 5500

ratio 5.6:1

weight 18.5oz

retrieve 39"

capacity 230yds 15lb

drag 25lb

Slammer III 3500

weight 13.9oz

retrieve 37"

capacity 285yds 8lb

drag 30lb

Slammer III 4500

weight 14.7oz

retrieve 40"

capacity 235yds 12lb

drag 30lb

Slammer III 5500

weight 22.4oz

retrieve 39"

capacity 230yds 15lb

drag 40lb

BG 2500

weight 9.3oz

retrieve ?

capacity 200m (218.7yds) 8lb

drag ?

BG 3000

ratio 5.7:1

weight 10.8oz

retrieve ?

capacity 200m (218.7yds) 12lb

drag ?

BG 4000

weight 14.3oz

retrieve ?

capacity 270m (295yds) 12lb

drag ?

BG 4500

weight 22oz

retrieve ?

capacity 320m (350yds) 14lb

drag ?

BG Magsealed 2500

weight 9.7oz

retrieve 84cm (33.07")

capacity 155m (169.5yds) 8lb 0.28mm thickness

drag 7kg

BG Magsealed 3000

weight 11.1oz

retrieve 95cm (37.4")

capacity ? doesn't make sense on Daiwa UK website

drag 7kg

BG Magsealed 4000

weight 15.3oz

retrieve 101cm (39.76")

capacity 240m (262yds) 12lb 0.32mm thickness

drag 8kg

BG Magsealed 4500

weight 22.2oz

retrieve 109cm (42.9")

capacity 260m (284yds) 17lb 0.40mm thickness

drag 10kg

I got all this information off the Penn and Daiwa UK sites, and I also did the metric to imperial conversion, if it's wrong I'm sorry.

Please can someone tell me the line diameter that Penn uses for its capacity specifications? 

I noticed Tackle Advisors has an hour long take apart video of the BG. I will watch it later today (got to get some shut eye, it's nearly 05:40 here), not that I'm any good at D.I.Y... I liked his videos that I watched and subscribed to his channel.

All the best,

John

Can't speak for Penn's but my 4500 BG was fished in about stomach high water reeling semi submerged at times and then taking a dunk quite a few times, after I got home to check the inside I actually didn't see any water intrusion. Now for those smaller BG sizes I'm not sure if you'll have more water coming in due to the reverse switch

16 mins ago, Yorkshire Boy said:

May I ask is the handle knob on the Slammer III metal or plastic?

The slammer knob is metal but I am pretty sure it also comes with a EVA round knob

1 min ago, kombi_rs said:

Can't speak for Penn's but my 4500 BG was fished in about stomach high water reeling semi submerged at times and then taking a dunk quite a few times, after I got home to check the inside I actually didn't see any water intrusion. Now for those smaller BG sizes I'm not sure if you'll have more water coming in due to the reverse switch

Thank you for your reply. 

That's much harder use than I will give a reel, I only wet wade rivers and the sea in the summer, even then the water is cold and I don't go much above the knee. I really don't like it when a wave comes in and kisses the clackers LOL

But your experience speaks about the kind of longevity I might expect from a reel. 

I did watch a video on the BG and an American chap fished up to his neck casting to jacks (I think) and he said his was fine afterwards. This is why I'm trying to get as much real world experience on these reels so I make a good choice and my money is well spent. 

I'm absolutely certain I don't need the max drag of the Slammer III for the rods I want, they would break. So the Spinfisher VI is looking more and more the likely choice. For the price of the Slammer I could buy a Spinfisher and 2 spare spools for it. 

All the best,

John

Both of those reels would handle what you need them for, so it’s kind of personal preference.  I own the BG and I’ve been pretty impressed for the price.  I’ve used the spinfisher too which is a great real.  The spinfisher is probably slightly more sealed or “dubkable” than the BG.  As for size, I’d say 4000 for a 9’ rod.  That the setup I used at least which works fine for me, but the type of fishing your doing is very different from most of the guys on here.

I own six of the Daiwa BG (2000, 2500, 3000, two of the 4000, and an unused 5000) - oldest is the 3000 which is over 3 years old - they are my workhorse reels for inshore, pier, and some FW (the small two).  I surf fished one of them (the 3000) in wind up to 30 mph Friday afternoon on Atlantic Beach - got sandblasted pretty good.  I also fished with a Penn Slammer III 4500 - used the Penn for bottom fishing with cut shrimp and the Daiwa for soft baits.  Both did their jobs fine - recommend both.  Sunday I took the spools off and cleaned and re-oiled them both.  No sign of any intrusion but the Daiwa was full of fine sand, the Penn wasn't (don't know that you can read anything into that).  I also own two Penn Spinfisher's, a 3500 in the older V and a new 2500 in the newer VI.  In comparison of the Spinfisher to the Slammer I would take the Slammer everyday - never had a single wind knot, even in high winds with the Slammer, but I get them regularly in the Spinfisher's unless I slightly under spool the line.  I like the Spinfishers but I like the Slammer better for the price increase.  My Two Cents!  OH