sistm

Reel For 9’6 Surf

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Hello all! I hope everyone is safe and Corona free. Sooo, I am having a custom Century Ron Arra 9’6 2-4 oz. built and I am looking for a reel to fish 99% from the surf. Mostly bait and lighter plugs and metals. It may get dunked or splashed, but not swimming with it.

Reels I am considering are the ZX22, VSX150, and IRT 400. Opinions suggestions?

If your expecting to get dunked or splashed I would shy away from the IRT. There's really no ividence the IRT makes for a great surf reel in the same way as a VS or ZB does. 

You should be asking your rod builder what he advises.....

I'm too rough on my stuff to buy fancy VS reels.  Penn has been nice to me so far though....

I am assuming braid here.......  You could use a 4500 series with 30lb braid.  And a 3500 series with 20lb braid.  Most striper fishermen go with 30lb braid...

I got a 14oz  4500 reel on my 11 oz 3/4-3oz 9'6" rod........

A good casting balance should be somewhere around there.  

You fish for more than an hour with lures, you will know if your reel weighs too much.  You'll be taking a break!

All the mentioned spool sizes are within spec that will not effect casting.  Changing from a VSX150 to a ZX22 will not change the line coming off the spool and through the guides.

The weight difference between the reels is going to be trivial at the difference they are.

Again, asking for opinions on reels, not when I should have decided what reel I want. I don’t mean any disrespect and I value all the opinions.

I already have the ZB, I was considering putting it on a different rod and getting another reel for the 9’6. :p

Edited by sistm

I have a 9’6 tsunami airwaves elite, with the vr 50 and when bigger fish are around I switch to the vr125.  I prefer the 50 nice and light and holds plenty of braid.  Good luck and stay safe !

27 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

If your expecting to get dunked or splashed I would shy away from the IRT. There's really no ividence the IRT makes for a great surf reel in the same way as a VS or ZB does. 

Thanks, not the first to tell me this. I was a drawn by them being a small business and everything being done in US. But I don’t want to sacrifice reliability or quality at that price point.

3 mins ago, gcjeep14 said:

I have a 9’6 tsunami airwaves elite, with the vr 50 and when bigger fish are around I switch to the vr125.  I prefer the 50 nice and light and holds plenty of braid.  Good luck and stay safe !

Thanks gcjeep. The VR 50 is nice, never touched anything bigger in the series. Would they hold up well to an occasional dunk?

1 min ago, sistm said:

Thanks, not the first to tell me this. I was a drawn by them being a small business and everything being done in US. But I don’t want to sacrifice reliability or quality at that price point.

I agree, I respect that too. They seem like they'd make great boat reels. I just don't know if I'd trust them to hold up to New England surfcasting conditions.

2 mins ago, sistm said:

Thanks gcjeep. The VR 50 is nice, never touched anything bigger in the series. Would they hold up well to an occasional dunk?

VR reels will take a dunking or splash no problem though personally I'd rather a good used VSX for pure reliability. The cost isn't too bad compared to a new VR either.

Two seasons ago was fishing a sandbar, not paying attention to in coming tide.  I had to use my pole with the vr 125 as a walking stick ( reel submerged ). Believe me this will never happen again!  Freshwater rinse afterwards and as of today still as smooth as the day I purchased it.  Good luck and be safe.